General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spun a bearing - need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun a bearing - need help!!

Car is a 94 Trans Am. To make a long story short, I took my car to a vette specialty shop and they told me I have a spun bearing and they are too backed up to do a big job like that. I live in central/south jersey and I have been looking all over for someone to fix my car and I can't find anyone. I have about 2k to get it fixed.

If anyone knows ANYWHERE to take my car where they do good work and are reasonable as far as pricing PLEASE let me know. The shop told me the cheapest thing to do would be to buy a used LT1 and drop that in but I don't have the space or time to do that. I did it before and it was a pain in the ***. I just want my damn car running. Thanks everyone

Dan
Old 07-28-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's gonna be hard to find a shop that will fix a spun bearing for 2K.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had well over 2k in parts in mine, labor would cost a couple thousand as well. It sucks.
Same thing happened to me a couple months ago, but i did everything myself start to finish.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Launching!

If you can't find a replacement engine, then here's the gist of it:
Pull the motor
Ask a machine shop to quote you a standard rebuild, and let them know you spun a bearing and will need the crank turned.
If you put enough metal in the system with the spun bearing, they will need to disassemble and clean everything. Have them punch it .030, get Sealed Power replacement pistons, resize your rods (you'll need to replace the one that had the spun bearing), grind your crank, and put it back together. I don't see how it would all cost $2000. I do this every day and parts AND labor for a punched out stock rebuild isn't $2000.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TATER
If you can't find a replacement engine, then here's the gist of it:
Pull the motor
Ask a machine shop to quote you a standard rebuild, and let them know you spun a bearing and will need the crank turned.
If you put enough metal in the system with the spun bearing, they will need to disassemble and clean everything. Have them punch it .030, get Sealed Power replacement pistons, resize your rods (you'll need to replace the one that had the spun bearing), grind your crank, and put it back together. I don't see how it would all cost $2000. I do this every day and parts AND labor for a punched out stock rebuild isn't $2000.
very true, in mine i did forged H-beam rods, forged pistons, arp head bolts, arp rod bolts, balanced, torque plate honed, etc. Figured I would just do it right to take a beating. Lots of moneys in machine work i think close to $700ish.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Teching In

I appreciate the help. I'll try to find a machine shop in the area and see what they quote me. So i guess it would be cheaper to pull the motor myself and put it back in then?

This will be fun. I hate LT1s

I'll let everyone know what happens
Old 07-28-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dropping the engine/trans together out the bottom isn't so bad. Still a pain in the ***, but i managed to do a 6-speed LS1 completly by myself, from pulling the motor, rebuilding the engine, and putting everything back in the car. I'm fairly confident with my mechanical knowledge though, and ASE certified lol. My advice is to read up as much as possible, There is a lot of info on here as to how to drop the engine/trans, and rebuild tips.
Good luck with your rebuild.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

just get a new short block it should be cheaper
Old 07-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how the heck can u get a spun bearing, how does this kind of stuff happen, how hard did you push the engine??????