Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, Heads/Cam Swap Complete, PCM dead

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help, Heads/Cam Swap Complete, PCM dead

Got the car back together today with the help of 99BlueZ28. Got the new battery in, hooked everything up, and cranked the car. The starter works fine, the engine spins, all electrical accessories, lights, stereo work, but the engine won't start.

When sticking the key in the ignition and turning it to run, you do not hear the fuel pump coming on, you do not hear any clicks from any of the relays in the engine bay, and the odometer doesn't come on.

Any suggestions? I checked both fuses for the PCM and they're fine. I used a voltmeter to check for power at the fuses and its there. I double checked all the wiring for the engine, and nothing looks disconnected.

Could the computer just have gone bad? The battery is brand new, and the car ran fine the last time it was started, back in December.

Help.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Help, Heads/Cam Swap Complete, PCM dead

check grounds... especially the ones on the back of the heads...

it is rare but it is also possible that in the PCM the Crank Pos Sensor needs a relearn... but Im guessing its a ground
Old 05-18-2003, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How many grounds are there? I remember 3 being behind the driver's side head. Two of them connected to the same bolt, and one connected to another.

jmX's walkthrough says that there should be a PCV ground that connects to the passenger side coolant plug bolt. I didn't see anything like this, could that be something I am missing. Remember I have a 98 and 98s have a different PCV system than other year cars.

Help anyone, I really am stuck here.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isnt there a ground on the passenger side head?

and you checked EVERY fuse... ????? I know when I was doing a N20 kit once I popped a maxi fuse and had issues...
Old 05-19-2003, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice! I decided that it was one of two problems. Bad PCM, or bad ground, and since I really doubted the PCM just magically fried itself, I decided to recheck the grounds. Pulled the drivers side valve cover to get behind the head and sure enough, one of the ground wires wasn't connected. It had actually broken off its ring terminal, which was properly installed, so I did my job correctly, just the stupid thing broke!

Thanks for the help.

Now my problem is my oil pressure is pegged all the way to the right, past 80 PSI. Unless I somehow developed super oil pressure, I think I broke my oil pressure sending unit!

Got any tips on changing that?