Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Typhoon Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Typhoon Intake?

Any experience with this intake? And how comparable is it to the FAST 90? Is it somewhere between the LS6 and the FAST? I see it can be used with a 96mm TB so I was just wondering if that had any benefit over the FAST.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

A local guy around me has a '04 LS1 GTO and he installed the typhoon intake because he is building a race/show car and the typhoon is pretty. Long story short he lost over 15 rwhp compared to the LS6. From what I understand it can be ported to flow better but it still is not a good design.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MVDCGTO
A local guy around me has a '04 LS1 GTO and he installed the typhoon intake because he is building a race/show car and the typhoon is pretty. Long story short he lost over 15 rwhp compared to the LS6. From what I understand it can be ported to flow better but it still is not a good design.
Hmm.. that's odd, maybe he messed something up?

I have one with my heads/cam combo and the damn thing pulls like a train up top, but I did everything at once. Another member here installed one, craz1469 is his name, and noticed a seat of the pants difference over his LS6 intake at higher rpm's. Professional Products' website claims a 17hp gain over the LS6 at 6500. They got a bad rap because of it not sealing and the fuel lines leaking but they have addressed those problems. The guy with the GTO is the only one who has posted that he didn't get any gains.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
Hmm.. that's odd, maybe he messed something up?

I have one with my heads/cam combo and the damn thing pulls like a train up top, but I did everything at once. Another member here installed one, craz1469 is his name, and noticed a seat of the pants difference over his LS6 intake at higher rpm's. Professional Products' website claims a 17hp gain over the LS6 at 6500. They got a bad rap because of it not sealing and the fuel lines leaking but they have addressed those problems. The guy with the GTO is the only one who has posted that he didn't get any gains.

actually, months ago i saw at least 2-3 people post dynos with them losing power with a stock ported tb/typhoon over their original stock ported tb/ls6... at the time PP hadnt come out with their throttle body and the general consensus was that maybe itll work better paired with their tb... but i never followed up past that... does anyone have dyno results for ported stock tb/ls6 and PP tb/PP mani?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

I did a search and I didn't find those people you are talking about.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did a search and I didn't find those people you are talking about.
since the search is so fubard lately i wouldnt doubt it... i really wish i would have saved those threads, im not trying to be confrontational or anything, because i have the ls1 intake so im not trying to be manifold loyal or anything
Old 07-27-2007, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

I've got one of the threads saved. I'll post it in a few minutes.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=typhoon.

red = after heads/cam, headers/exhaust
blue = after heads/cam, headers/exhaust, 85mm PP intake manifold, 85mm PP throttle body

Little to no gain at all over the LS6 intake manifold.

Originally Posted by dan_e
Obviously no gains, and if you consider the tuner picked up about 10 whp, you may even say it lost power
Note: Please disregard the green pull because it is just a baseline run. The real comparison is between red (heads/cam/headers/exhaust) vs. blue (heads/cam/headers/exhaust/85mm PP intake manifold/85mm PP throttle body)
Old 07-28-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ohhh now i remember the reason i stopped following the PP stuff... every single test was done on big ci motors, or h/c cars... there was no full bolt on results...
Old 07-28-2007, 01:42 AM
Banned

If it's the same as the LS6, then fine.. I had to upgrade from the LS1 anyway and it looks better and has new and better fuel rails. However, myself, my mechanic, and a couple I've talked to are convinced it pulls a little more HP up top. The graph you posted looks like his was even a little better down low over the LS6.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:05 AM
12 Second Club

If it's the same as the LS6, then fine.. I had to upgrade from the LS1 anyway and it looks better and has new and better fuel rails. However, myself, my mechanic, and a couple I've talked to are convinced it pulls a little more HP up top. The graph you posted looks like his was even a little better down low over the LS6.
That was assumed to be picked up from the tune.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Funny how all these PP threads die down after that graph is posted
Old 07-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

It's one graph, it really doesn't mean a whole lot.. the threads die because no one has much experience with this intake.

If you can "assume" the tune picked up the midrange (with a richer A/F ratio too), then you can "assume" that it only did the same as the LS6 up top.

Just keep on assuming!