General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PS pulley just fell off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS pulley just fell off.

I did a search and everyone says getting the power steering pulley off is hard or at least you need a special puller. I was driving along and the power steering goes out. I pull over pop the hood and my power steering pulley and the belt are just laying there, off, the pulley and belt just fell off.
Anyone else have this happen to them? The PS pulley just falling off? It sounds like its a pain in the *** to get them off so whats the deal with mine just falling off? Do I just need a new pulley or the whole thing? How do I tell if the pump is ok?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Launching!

did the pump lock up and the belt spin the pulley out?
Old 07-28-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think so the shaft still spins freely. There were some hairline cracks in the pulley though.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seriously am I the only guy this has happened to?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:37 AM
On The Tree

Well I had my PS pulley explode when I floored the throttle once. I was racing an NSX from a roll (I woulda had him too if not for the stupid plastic pulley). I've since replaced it with a steel one off an older 'camaro at a wrecking yard. The only thing left on the pump was the metal ring at the center of the pulley the rest of the plastic pieces were scattered around the engine bay. I needed a PS pulley puller to remove it and install the new one.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

What year camaro did you get the metal one off of? I see a few on ebay but I'm not sure they'll fit. Anyone got a power steering pulley and fluid reservoir?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SScott
What year camaro did you get the metal one off of? I see a few on ebay but I'm not sure they'll fit. Anyone got a power steering pulley and fluid reservoir?
To be honest, I don't know. I went to the wrecking yard and told them what I needed. The guy came back with a steel one and he said it was off of a Camaro. I think GM uses the same diameter shaft on their pumps. What changes is the belt groove and maybe the offset. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Sounds alot like what happened on my '96. I was doing a burnout, then the power steering got really stiff. I popped the hood and saw my belt laying there, and my ps pully, along with the actual shaft sitting farther out than it should of been. Turns out I snapped the shaft from the inside. Is the pully AND the shaft pulled out?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yup thats exactly what happened.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well not long ago i tached my car up and dropped the clutch and my power steering went out. I got out and looked under the hood expecting the belt to be off but it was still on. I looked a little closer and i seen that i had broke the shaft that the pulley attaches to. The shaft broke a little ways inside the pump.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just ordered a new ps pump and pulley from Turn One, I don't know if I can post a link or not but here goes.
http://www.turnone-steering.com/ls1.html

Quick Reply: PS pulley just fell off.