Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Extension Housing Installation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default T56 Extension Housing Installation?

Is there a trick to installing the extension housing? I have reassembled the main case and can shift through gears one through four – everything seems ok. I have been trying to test fit the extension housing with none of its innards in place – no 5th, 6th or reverse gears or shift forks – just the mainshaft and the two shift rails. The housing slips easily onto the main shift rail but hangs up on the case alignment pins or the 5-6 shift rail. The extension housing came off easily. Nothing has been dropped or bent but the pins in the main case appear to not align with the holes in the extension housing. I have the same problem whether the transmission is horizontal or vertical. What gear should be selected when installing the extension housing? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:39 AM
10 Second Club

The problem is that the 5-6 shift rail is free to flop around and I can’t get it lined up with its socket in the case. Maybe when the gears and forks are installed the alignment will be better.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. Put a glob of grease on the top of the slider rail and set the tailhousing on then remove it. You will see what direction you need to push the rail from the grease spot left in the housing. Just use a screwdriver to move it around and the housing will literally fall into place with ease. Having the gears in does not matter.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PoorMan
I had the same problem. Put a glob of grease on the top of the slider rail and set the tailhousing on then remove it. You will see what direction you need to push the rail from the grease spot left in the housing. Just use a screwdriver to move it around and the housing will literally fall into place with ease.
Thanks. I got it on but now I'm left wondering why I couldn't think of a grease glob.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

And I want to nominate PoorMan for a Best Avatar award.

Quick Reply: T56 Extension Housing Installation?