Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

axle off center

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle off center

So I read Madman's suspension article in this month's GMHT and decide, w/ beer in hand, to take some not so scientific measurements of my stock rear end. I determine that the rear end is left of center measured on the short axis of the car (left wheel sticks out further than right wheel). I also determine that the left rear wheel (driver side) is a 1/2 inch behind the right rear wheel when measured on the long axis of the car. Is this common on a stock car? Could this be a reason why I only cut a 2.17 60'--see my sig? When I shift my car (lowered 2") from 1 to 2, I get tire chirp and the rear of car always wants to go to my left.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

if your car is lowered and you dont have an adjustable panhard than your body is off center technically. not the rearend.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Good answer; not everyone understands that it is the chassis that has shifted due to lowering and not the axle.

I installed an on-car adjustable panhard. If tee-boy still has his factory panhard rod then it would behoove him to shop around for a replacement. Not only can you adjust how the chassis aligns but things will become more rigid for better handling.

I bought my on-car for less than some sell off-car adjustables.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default great

cool. so will getting the body back in line help my 60'?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default clarify please

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
Good answer; not everyone understands that it is the chassis that has shifted due to lowering and not the axle.

I installed an on-car adjustable panhard. If tee-boy still has his factory panhard rod then it would behoove him to shop around for a replacement. Not only can you adjust how the chassis aligns but things will become more rigid for better handling.

I bought my on-car for less than some sell off-car adjustables.
Let me see if I understand... An off-car adj panhard adjusts the axle to the chasis. While an on-car adj panhard adjusts the body to the chasis?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Both move the chassis over the axle. An on-car adjustable panhard has adjustments on both ends. One side will have left handed threads. Regular adjustable panhard rods have one solid end and one that adjusts. Since you usually only do the adjustment once, some wouldn't bother with a double adjustable. Mine was only $90 so I went for it. You merely rotate the rod until things are aligned and tighten the two lock nuts to secure it in place. Easy as pie.

The panhard can help your launch some but not nearly as much as lower control relocation brackets and arms. Since you have lowered the car your LCAs are no longer level. I would think you are experiencing some wheel hop.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
Both move the chassis over the axle. An on-car adjustable panhard has adjustments on both ends. One side will have left handed threads. Regular adjustable panhard rods have one solid end and one that adjusts. Since you usually only do the adjustment once, some wouldn't bother with a double adjustable. Mine was only $90 so I went for it. You merely rotate the rod until things are aligned and tighten the two lock nuts to secure it in place. Easy as pie.

The panhard can help your launch some but not nearly as much as lower control relocation brackets and arms. Since you have lowered the car your LCAs are no longer level. I would think you are experiencing some wheel hop.
Thanks. When adjusting the new adj panhard bar, what should I use as a reference point to say that I am square again? When adjusting the new adj LCA's what should I use as a referece point to say that I am square again?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

With the suspension loaded you can take a string with a weight and determine if each tire is the same distance from the edge of the quarter panel (rear fender).

Hold the weighted string against the panel in the same spot on each side. You can then measure by eye or with a ruler how far one wheel is in or out compared to the other. You then adjust the panhard until both tires are equal distance from the panel edge.