Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat(s) rattling on my 99... i think

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cat(s) rattling on my 99... i think

I've been noticing for a while a rattle coming from my exhaust on my 99 Z. I first thought it was a heat shield hitting my hooker catback exhaust. Ive checked every inch of the exhaust multiple times. I finally thought i had it narrowed down to the joint between the ypipe and the ipipe. I bought a nice 3 inch stainless band clamp and tore off the stock clamp and tightened it up perfectly. Unfortunately, it still has the same noise. It rattles most noticeably as you let off a rev at idle. If you hit the exhaust from underneath it rattles, but i cant pinpoint it. It seems like its just coming from everywhere up towards the ypipe.

Is there anything else it cold possibly be. I crimped those little rings on the o2 sensors down cause i thought they may be rattling, so its not them either.

My questions are:

1 About how much would it be if i just took it to a shop and said replace my cats and clean out my ypipe (im afraid cat bits or maybe the screen may be shoved back in there somewhere)

2 Would it be cheaper to just delete the cats by buying an ORY? What options are there for the 99 style ypipe (as opposed to the 02 style).

3 Is there anything else I am missing that this noise could be? Is there any way to test for a rattling cat besides removing the ypipe?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Loochy88
My questions are:

1 About how much would it be if i just took it to a shop and said replace my cats and clean out my ypipe (im afraid cat bits or maybe the screen may be shoved back in there somewhere)

2 Would it be cheaper to just delete the cats by buying an ORY? What options are there for the 99 style ypipe (as opposed to the 02 style).

3 Is there anything else I am missing that this noise could be? Is there any way to test for a rattling cat besides removing the ypipe?
1. A shop would charge you a lot of money . Enough to have pretty much whatever aftermaket /performance exhaust .

2. Yes it would be cheaper . You can mail your computer for what is called a mail order tunethat should take only a weekdowntime forthem todelet the 02s and do whatever other tuning . This alone will net you more power withthe addition in flowwhich is also one of the first steps in mods on your ls1 .

3.Could be bushings or something . Every car ratttles after time jsutone ofthose things . You could replace all thebushings ( prothane makes a kit ) though it does take time.

My advice just go ahead and put a good exhaust system and it will sound well enough for you to forget about whatever soubnd is bothering you .
Old 07-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Launching!

My 99 formula did the same thing, so I put American racing headers and catted y with a hooker cat back.
Sounds much better now.

Brad
Old 07-29-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by snake charmer
1. A shop would charge you a lot of money . Enough to have pretty much whatever aftermaket /performance exhaust .

2. Yes it would be cheaper . You can mail your computer for what is called a mail order tunethat should take only a weekdowntime forthem todelet the 02s and do whatever other tuning . This alone will net you more power withthe addition in flowwhich is also one of the first steps in mods on your ls1 .

3.Could be bushings or something . Every car ratttles after time jsutone ofthose things . You could replace all thebushings ( prothane makes a kit ) though it does take time.

My advice just go ahead and put a good exhaust system and it will sound well enough for you to forget about whatever soubnd is bothering you .
Suspension bushing (not exhaust hanger bushings)? Its not that since it does it without the car moving.

Besides the bassani ORY, what other options are there for a the 99 style cat setup, that would connect to stock style manifolds?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

the honeycomb material inside your cat could be all busted up and bouncing around in your cat......happpened to me........
Old 07-29-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98dropta
the honeycomb material inside your cat could be all busted up and bouncing around in your cat......happpened to me........
thats what im figuring is going on. did it sound like marbles in a can when you let up on the accel. thats more or less what mine sounds like at idle.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Loochy88
thats what im figuring is going on. did it sound like marbles in a can when you let up on the accel. thats more or less what mine sounds like at idle.
yep thats it..................climb under the car and bang on the cat and see if you hear anything....thats how i found out on mine
Old 07-29-2007, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put headers on and get an ory and get rid of those cats. You can sell your cats to a local junk man. I got 65 a piece for them
Old 07-29-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Put headers on and get an ory and get rid of those cats. You can sell your cats to a local junk man. I got 65 a piece for them
i debated that when i switched out my cats.....but i have GMMG and have heard it has too much rasp without cats
Old 07-29-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

well i plan on doing an ory, but no headers. i dont want to fool with headers on this car. i had enough fun with them on my last one. what options are there for ypipes with stock style manifolds on a 99.