Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Spending 3k

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help Spending 3k

Hey everyone I have a 2000 A4 camaro ss only mods are DR,lid,bellow,filter. I have 3k to spend and need help deciding what to buy. I know i want an ls6 intake, some sort of full exhaust, stall, and hopefully enough for a cam package. i was thinking about the ms4. i know i got to set aside like 400 for tune. keep in mind this is also my daily driver, but i do alot of racing and will be going to the track. What do you think i should do with 3k? maybe some form of nitrous,stall,full exhaust and cam later? what would be the best power for the money?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

If u and just looking for bang for the buck the nitrous is def the way spend a good 1000 bucks on a top notch system with every safety devise u can put on it then upgrade to some MT drag radials or et streets even a full slick if u have another set of rims so u can really Plant that 150 shot then do a full exhaust and get it tuned

However if u want to really plan things out for the futre this is how I would do it

well if u are an auto u need a stall without a doubt that way if u get A cam later u are ready usually something between 3400 and 4000 seems to be the norms

Budget at least 600 for the stall plus don't forget installation if u can do all your own installs it will save a good chunk of the 3k

Next I would look Into 3.73 gears figure on 175-200 for the gears plus 50 for an install kit and another200 for install

Next get longtubes price will vary from 300 all the way up to 1000depending on metal quality and brand name longtubes will require a few more things for install (o2 extensions, some type of y or xpipe, new header gaskets) whole setup with install and everything and all will run from 700 and could get over 2k with expensive parts

If u went the cheaper route and found d some deals on the stall, gears, & full exhaust then step up to an ls6 intake and porter TB

You will need those 4 things before you go the cam route this way when u do get the cam u have everything in place for it to be tunedand really be able to breathe then u can get that nitrous setup and really turn it into abeast

Good luck and happy modding

Last edited by Formula_Power; 07-29-2007 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:02 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the advice man. i got some ?s i know later on im gunna want nitrous so i would need to find a stall thats suitable for it. do you know which brand and specific model might have a 3800 or 4000 stall that will hold up? want qaulity but for a reasonable price. or should i go out and find a used one?

also what gears should i go with 4.10 or 3.73, i know 4.10 will get me out of the hole but eats up some top end, also it is my daily driver so between the 2 what do you think the difference in gas mileage would be? my stock gears are 3.23 so do you think it would be even worth it to do 3.73 or the hell with it and go 4.10s
Old 07-29-2007, 05:12 AM
TECH Veteran

I would think twice about heavy modding your daily driver.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:13 AM
On The Tree

sorry i didnt even see what you wrote about the nitrous. so where would you put that in the order you woud do it? stall,gears,intake,nitrous,cam?

my bad i know i feel like i am asking alot of ?s but just trying to figure everything out right before i spend the money.

do you think i can do a 125 shot plus stall,gears,exhaust, intake on the stock rear/tranny?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I am not going to give u a 100% yes on the tranny because a trans can let go whenever it wants but should be okay make sure to get a trans cooler when u get the stall heat kills the pretty accepted rule for gears is 3.73 for a4 and 4.10 for m6 i had a car that had3.23 a d i changed to 3.73 and thought it was worth it. AS for your stall speed i would go alittle lower because u are going to use nitrous. When using nitrous its a good bet to drop about 500 rpms from what u would use regularly i would say nothing over 3500 would be a good starting point. As for brands there are several good ones yank and vig are very top notch and i hace heard good of tci and fuddle and ptc i am sure there are others as well. As for buying used parts i am 100% for it MOST of the guys o this board for good for buying used parts off of. Just beware of the few scsmmers make sure to check trader ratings and just be smart when buying online. You can get used parts for almost half of a new price so it will save some cash to shop around
Old 07-29-2007, 05:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

as for my order i would put it last. That way u have everything ready to get the best gai s from it. But if u just cant wait u can always do it sooner
Old 07-29-2007, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

I would go this route....

1.Exhaust all the way back...
Let out the fumes.. Great SOTP gain, and a great sound to boot.
2.Intake... CAI, Ported TB, LS6.
Now that it gets out quickly, stuff more air fuel in.

Depending on how much you spent on installations, Stall it out. As a Daily driver, stick around the 36-3800 mark. This will REQUIRE a tune.... Remember that you have to put a trans cooler on it as well...

I would stay away from gears in the stock 10 bolt... You might find out your going to need a 12 bolt sooner than expected... and as soon as you start racing it, make sure your putting money away for a built 4l60E.

Nitrous, I would keep it under a 100 shot, unless you dont mind upgrading to Forged internals. Make sure your stalls shift extensions will work well with it as well.

HP is good, but if you cant put it to the ground its useless. Once this work is done, you will require sticky tires.... When Racing you will need to tie the frame up....
Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

I would also say pretty much the same path.
1. Full exhaust, LS6, ported TB (be sure to look around ,there are ALOT of systems) LS1 sounds is a good place to go to see what you like.
2. Stall (along with trans. cooler)
3. Gears ( I have always seen 3.73s never personally seen 4.10s in a DD A4)
4. Tune (It would also help to find the tuning shop closest to you to get help/advice on part selection)

Help this helps.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by twizted_creations
I would go this route....

1.Exhaust all the way back...
Let out the fumes.. Great SOTP gain, and a great sound to boot.
2.Intake... CAI, Ported TB, LS6.
Now that it gets out quickly, stuff more air fuel in.

Depending on how much you spent on installations, Stall it out. As a Daily driver, stick around the 36-3800 mark. This will REQUIRE a tune.... Remember that you have to put a trans cooler on it as well...

I would stay away from gears in the stock 10 bolt... You might find out your going to need a 12 bolt sooner than expected... and as soon as you start racing it, make sure your putting money away for a built 4l60E.

Nitrous, I would keep it under a 100 shot, unless you dont mind upgrading to Forged internals. Make sure your stalls shift extensions will work well with it as well.

HP is good, but if you cant put it to the ground its useless. Once this work is done, you will require sticky tires.... When Racing you will need to tie the frame up....
You do not NEED a tune nor do you NEED a cooler. They will help out and make everything work nicer, but do not need either.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Ok... Stall your ride, let the temps soar during daily driving, and burn that tranny up.... Or just not tune it.... Leave all that extra power you just added on the table.... You CAN run without a tune... sure, but is it SMART? I am talking a basic tune.... not a dyno tune.

But then again your the one running open headers for months on end, and wondering why your car doesnt idle right.

Heres your sign.......
Old 07-29-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

iwould wait to get it tuned after u install as much as u can that way u don't have to get tuned again when u add more
Old 07-30-2007, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

ya i figured i needed a trans cooler and will wait to get it tuned. i think im gunna go head and go buy the tsp TD setup for exhaust.

thanks for the info guys. keep em commin.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

with 3K, and seeing you have "plans" get a rear, it'll pay off in the long run... while you have the cash now do that, then mod your car up as the money becomes available, just my opinion, after that spend in the rest on a catback and intake... its always nice to not have to worry how much the 10 bolt can handle down the modding time line
Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cam/heads/TD's/LT's

or just give me the 3k
Old 08-03-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

there is a really good charity you can give it to called the Matt Ellis foundation... he takes your money, spends it, and doesnt pay you back. great guy pm me for email and address to send check to!
Old 08-03-2007, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

lol i think ill have to pass on that one ^

i would love to do a cam but i would need of a stall to go with it. i want to go ms4.
i already found a yank ss4000 for $600.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

standing behind my 12 bolt idea with that ms4 on the way... dont want to put down 400+ to the wheels one day, blow your rear the next and have no way to repair it because your still paying off the cam