Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Opsec/persec

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opsec/persec

Gentlemen:

Please keep OPSEC/PERSEC in mind when discussing military sites, camps, personnel, etc...

Even though we are on a forum that is mainly populated by gearheads from the US and allied countries, there is a possibility that some unfriendlies may be reading our posts.

So please do not mention specifics. No mention of troop strengths, locations, what camp life is like. This info can be used to harm you.

I know that you guys know this but I saw things that concerned me. I have been there and done that too but let's save these discussions for face to face meetings. I know that we are all concerned about our safety out there. Let's remain vigilant and safe!

OUT

Last edited by anthracis; 07-29-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Words of wisdom. I would like to thank all of the men and women that are serving or have served in all of the branches of the military. Thank you for protecting the people and ideals of this great country of ours!
Old 07-29-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by anthracis
Gentlemen:

Please keep OPSEC/PERSEC in mind when discussing military sites, camps, personnel, etc...

Even though we are on a forum that is mainly populated by gearheads from the US and allied countries, there is a possibility that some unfriendlies may be reading our posts.

So please do not mention specifics. No mention of troop strengths, locations, what camp life is like. This info can be used to harm you.

I know that you guys know this but I saw things that concerned me. I have been there and done that too but let's save these discussions for face to face meetings. I know that we are all concerned about our safety out there. Let's remain vigilant and safe!

OUT
+100
If anyone sees anything dubious regarding the above being posted on this forum, please PM an admin, and they can remove the post. I know everyone likes to share their experiences and stuff, but some things dont need to be posted on the 'net.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stick possibly? I think that would be a good idea for some of the newer guys (myself included as a nub) to remind them not to talk about certain parts of the experience here.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly
Old 07-30-2007, 06:29 AM
TECH Resident

well said, with all the people on the net im sure someone is watching,
and yes im in the service
Old 07-30-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

boring.....i can understand opsec if you were on a fire base or fob but a huge camp like liberty not much is at risk.....as long as your not talking about missions or ttp's i say let it go.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96ta
boring.....i can understand opsec if you were on a fire base or fob but a huge camp like liberty not much is at risk.....as long as your not talking about missions or ttp's i say let it go.
That type of attitude gets men killed.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not the big stuff most guys worry about like posting up "hey, guess where I am going TDY to tomarrow". Most guys have enough common sense not to mention anything stupid like this. It is more the little stuff that slips by that most guys don't realize they are doing that can do the most harm. It's hard sometimes when you have an open forum such as this and you have so many fellow brothers and sisters serving with you (and me) on this site, it sometimes can be easy to engage in conversation that might share something small that will add up.

Honestly a lot is probably said that it shouldn't on this board. There's a thread three pages deep listed as "How many times have you been deployed?" that is full of people broadcasting when and where they have been deployed to. This is just an example, but please do try to keep things non specific like including dates, names, times, exact locations, ect. It is all up to us (as the original poster stated) to make the difference here. Just think about it before you post. Ask yourself, if your security manager where to read what you were posting on the internet, would they approve? If there is any question in your mind, or you are thinking they would not approve, then I wouldn't post it. If you are not sure, ask someone who would know.

Thanks to all who are out there everyday with me kicking ***!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

Roger that....won't happen again.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lookin4aTA
Stick possibly? I think that would be a good idea for some of the newer guys (myself included as a nub) to remind them not to talk about certain parts of the experience here.
Better yet.. just report the post. The moderators here will gladly handle anything that's out of line.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider
That type of attitude gets men killed.
no it doesnt its called common sense and a lack of that will get you killed.....
Old 08-09-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CALL911
It's not the big stuff most guys worry about like posting up "hey, guess where I am going TDY to tomarrow". Most guys have enough common sense not to mention anything stupid like this. It is more the little stuff that slips by that most guys don't realize they are doing that can do the most harm. It's hard sometimes when you have an open forum such as this and you have so many fellow brothers and sisters serving with you (and me) on this site, it sometimes can be easy to engage in conversation that might share something small that will add up.

Honestly a lot is probably said that it shouldn't on this board. There's a thread three pages deep listed as "How many times have you been deployed?" that is full of people broadcasting when and where they have been deployed to. This is just an example, but please do try to keep things non specific like including dates, names, times, exact locations, ect. It is all up to us (as the original poster stated) to make the difference here. Just think about it before you post. Ask yourself, if your security manager where to read what you were posting on the internet, would they approve? If there is any question in your mind, or you are thinking they would not approve, then I wouldn't post it. If you are not sure, ask someone who would know.

Thanks to all who are out there everyday with me kicking ***!
you are aware you can google earth all major camps and dod has published lists of the camps and joe smoe can read with a little bit of searching but yes i do agree with what you say.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are aware you can google earth all major camps and dod has published lists of the camps and joe smoe can read with a little bit of searching but yes i do agree with what you say.
There is lots of information available on the web that is available to all. Even though it is accessable, there is still some of it we shouldn't discuss or mention to put more of it out there.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Tell that to the guys guarding the perimeter fence. I'm sure the last thing they want is some nutjob suicide bomber trying to breach into the installation because they read something on the internet.

Besides, if you're deployed... keep in mind you're actions can be monitored while surfing the forum. If they think you're violating OPSEC, you might end up standing infront of somebody explaining why you're posting sensitive info on a public forum.

Some food for thought, as a prime example:
http://www.military.com/military-rep...-about-myspace

Airmen Cautioned About MySpace.com

Week of January 29, 2007

Stars and Stripes reports that the Air Force's Office of Special Investigations (OSI) is warning airmen to exercise caution when using the popular Internet social networking site MySpace.com. The warning comes after an investigation involving several airmen who were solicited "specific information" via MySpace.com about RAF Lakenheath in the past several months. With the advent of sites such as MySpace.com and other social networking Websites, OSI agents are concerned that America's adversaries are taking their quest for information online. Airmen need to be aware of the dangers.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Grave
Tell that to the guys guarding the perimeter fence. I'm sure the last thing they want is some nutjob suicide bomber trying to breach into the installation because they read something on the internet.

Besides, if you're deployed... keep in mind you're actions can be monitored while surfing the forum. If they think you're violating OPSEC, you might end up standing infront of somebody explaining why you're posting sensitive info on a public forum.

Some food for thought, as a prime example:
http://www.military.com/military-rep...-about-myspace
i know all about opsec its a daily thing with my job but it just comes down to common sense if your unsure about whether to post something try googling it if it comes back with results then its already public info just use your head

Quick Reply: Opsec/persec