Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car feels "Jumpy" over bumps....HELP

Old 07-29-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car feels "Jumpy" over bumps....HELP

Alright guys I'm not quite sure what this is or if every f-body is like this but i have a question....

Whenever I hit a bump my car feels like it jumps, if i hit a bump while accelerating (even under normal acceleration) it feels like my wheels spins for a second then comes back down to the ground.

on the highway when i hit a little bump i can feel the back end swing out a tiny bit, like it is sliding, but its only over bumps. on smooth road it is perfect.

I'm thinking my tires may be overinflated...? or is this a normal feel?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

its probably just wheel hop, its pretty annoying

if u get some new lcas and relocation brackets that will eliminate it
Old 07-29-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
Alright guys I'm not quite sure what this is or if every f-body is like this but i have a question....

Whenever I hit a bump my car feels like it jumps, if i hit a bump while accelerating (even under normal acceleration) it feels like my wheels spins for a second then comes back down to the ground.

on the highway when i hit a little bump i can feel the back end swing out a tiny bit, like it is sliding, but its only over bumps. on smooth road it is perfect.

I'm thinking my tires may be overinflated...? or is this a normal feel?
I know exactly what your talking about. Your problem is you have the shitty stock shocks.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

start modding suspension
Old 07-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I know exactly what your talking about. Your problem is you have the shitty stock shocks.
Out of curiousity, what is it about the stock shocks that would cause this problem?

ie. if one had double-adjustable shocks, what would one reduce with respect to the original-quality settings, the compression absorption or the rebound absorption. Or on the flipside, what would one increase?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
Out of curiousity, what is it about the stock shocks that would cause this problem?

ie. if one had double-adjustable shocks, what would one reduce with respect to the original-quality settings, the compression absorption or the rebound absorption. Or on the flipside, what would one increase?
The valving of the shock cannot keep up with the spring, making the car 'bounce' like a buick or old cadillac.
You would turn up the rebound, causing the shock to expand slower after compression.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

That's what I'm having trouble visualizing...

If the shock compresses on the bump, that's the whole wheel moving up into the wheel well with supposedly the car fairly level. Wouldn't a slow expansion of the shock leave the wheel off the ground after the bump and a more violent landing under power?

I would have thought one would want the shock to expand quicker and have the wheel follow the ground sooner. I must be missing some detail.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If the shock compresses on the bump, that's the whole wheel moving up into the wheel well with supposedly the car fairly level. Wouldn't a slow expansion of the shock leave the wheel off the ground after the bump and a more violent landing under power?

I would have thought one would want the shock to expand quicker and have the wheel follow the ground sooner. I must be missing some detail.
I agree. It seems like the car isn't rebounding fast enough, but I don't know too much about suspension so I may be wrong. I'm not sure how LCA's work, but I think I will end up trying those first since it does feel like wheel hop.

Any opinions on good LCA's that will eliminate the wheel hop?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what he's trying to tell you, I believe, is that the jolt you're feeling after the bump would be due to the shock expanding quicker, the quicker it returns to it's original location the harsher the ride quality will be because there is little dampening effect with the stock shocks... the Bilstein HD's I purchased make for a much higher quality in the ride (though I'm not lowered) and took away more of the jolt when combined with my LCA's ...

also keep in mind when people mention unsprung weight... if you have an aftermarket rearend or heavier aftermarket wheels, or even heavier tires, those can all effect things as well.

in my experiences, it's worse with a gas tank less than half full
it's worse when my t-tops are on because there is no additional weight in the back (all I have in the back is t-top holders, nothing else, no subs or anything) because it seems to make the jolting feeling worse...
and it's worse when I'm the only person in the car as well.

just how I notice things I guess.
hope it helps, though somebody could tell me I'm completely wrong as well
Old 07-30-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
I agree. It seems like the car isn't rebounding fast enough, but I don't know too much about suspension so I may be wrong. I'm not sure how LCA's work, but I think I will end up trying those first since it does feel like wheel hop.

Any opinions on good LCA's that will eliminate the wheel hop?
your stock LCA's look like a U shaped bar of stamped steel with rubber mounts... not entirely effective for much other than keeping your rear in check.

you can get them boxed, you can purchase boxed, you can get rod (which most seem to carry now) with poly ends, rod ends, or a combo...

if you get poly mounts remember to keep them lubed, if not, you'll experience the same jolt feeling after hitting bumps (it took me awhile to realize this because I had little time to re-lube my rear suspension until recently, it makes a world of difference) ...

seems most people on this board seem to go with UMI or BMR, though lately the majority seems to be UMI (also who I decided to go with)... good products, good support if needed
Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for all the info dreams, i get what your saying now about the shock rebounding too quickly.

as soon as i sell off my ZR1's I will be buying some LCA's
Old 07-30-2007, 12:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

The stock rear shocks have too much compression damping, and they DON'T follow sharp short bumps well at all, instead they resist letting the axle move up and over. Sticky LCA's will cause this too because they also can keep the axle from moving up and over.

Add lowering springs to the stock springs and it gets worse. Yet another reason why I always start with shocks...

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-30-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Sam I was hoping you would chime in on this thread. Do you have any of those "Sam's HD's" in stock, not the crappy new ones?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I have rears, but no fronts--national backorder (going on 5 months now).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car feels "Jumpy" over bumps....HELP