Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

anyone running strano springs and hit the track..??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone running strano springs and hit the track..??

So I have prokit springs on now and with the power Im putting out I dont feel they are doing to well at the track. I want my rear to be a bit stiffer on launches. I want a spring that still gives the car a nice stance and handles well and will still perform well at the track. From reading around Ive come to either DMS or Strano, the Stranos seem to have a better spring rate so I would think that would be better for track abuse.

so basically Im looking to see if anyone is Strano springs and have been to the track and would like to know what they thought of them.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cut a 1.9 on Nittos, better than I ever did on my pro-kit.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

anyone else?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:15 AM
12 Second Club

Curious here too.... about to ditch my Eibachs for a Strano spring/Koni 4/4 setup. Ive been wondering how it will work for me at the track, 1/4m that is.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

anyone else...just looking for people that have ran there car with the strano springs. Looking to buy some different springs soon.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a guy in Maryland that runs 1.6's.... I always like to note that lowering springs are never ideal for weight transfer. However, because we don't slam the car, and we don't use really high spring rates my springs do let the car work better than most lowering springs do. And the reason is simple. I have to put power down whem coming out of corners too. While not drag racing it was a considered concern when I was playing with spring rates on my own car, which is what the SP141 spring rates and heights are derived from.

And even if the rates were exactly the same as the others, mine still weight less. And a lighter car accelerates faster. No, I'm not saying you'll go a full .1 faster or anything, 100 lbs. is worth about .1 in the quarter. You save about 15 lbs. Add a hollow rear, that's another 5-7. That's over 20 and that starts to add up.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I have a guy in Maryland that runs 1.6's.... I always like to note that lowering springs are never ideal for weight transfer. However, because we don't slam the car, and we don't use really high spring rates my springs do let the car work better than most lowering springs do. And the reason is simple. I have to put power down whem coming out of corners too. While not drag racing it was a considered concern when I was playing with spring rates on my own car, which is what the SP141 spring rates and heights are derived from.

And even if the rates were exactly the same as the others, mine still weight less. And a lighter car accelerates faster. No, I'm not saying you'll go a full .1 faster or anything, 100 lbs. is worth about .1 in the quarter. You save about 15 lbs. Add a hollow rear, that's another 5-7. That's over 20 and that starts to add up.

The lower weight is something I find attractive about Sam's springs. I started a thread on this issue a month or two ago because while I like the lower stance and chance for better handling, I don't want to lose my 60'. I not a big drag racer but when I do go to the track, I want respectable times. I'm thinking about Sam doing my car with springs and a light weight K member (UMI road race) to hopefully gain back anything I might lose in 1/4 mile times with lowering springs. Make sense or am I all wet?

By the way Sam if you are reading, saw the post on your Mom, hope she's alright.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Thank you, she's fine and still in remission.

I don't think you'll lose much with the springs, it's pretty rare folks lose an amount that's big enough to be out of range that's considered "noise" in the times. Honestly if you ran the springs and the k-member you might well make the quicker than before since you'd then be taking about 40 lbs off (and more with options).

From my side I have to be upfront and tell folks these are not drag springs. However, they seem to work very well in that way for those who are looking for a combination of things like launching, but also the other things you get like the height and handling gains.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-31-2007, 07:15 PM
9 Second Club

I have been to the track... but I don't think my case applies...