Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What heads for the LS7??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What heads for the LS7??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm building a new LS7 to replace my LS2. Rotating assy. should be complete in a few weeks. Now I need heads. Looking for something reasonably priced that perform extremly well.

New LS7 heads cost around 2600 + 500 for valve springs and retainers

New ETP heads cost approx. 3000 + 220 for LS7 rockers?

World Products also has new heads that are reasonably price, but flow numbers are unknown...

From what I see there is a modest increase in flow with the ETP's. Will a slightly cleaned up set of LS7 heads outperform them?

Any suggestions good bad or indifferent?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh you want suggestions even if they`re bad? then here is what I`d do...

1-ported L92 from TSP or Livernoise.
2-TEA ported AFR heads maybe 235 cc and 2.100 valve.
3-LS1 or LS6 tsp or Livernoise heads with a 2.100 intake valve or 2.080 (for reselling to 3.900 bore engines to)
4-TFS stage 3 from TEA or the 225cc normal version.

2,3 and 4 with an edelbrock vic jr intake manifold.(ported not that much extra also).
Old 07-30-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bader-X
4-TFS 235cc from TEA or the 225cc normal version.
This would be my suggestion. Coupled with a Vengence ported FAST 90mm manifold.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Why run the non-LS7 style stuff?

It's going in a C6 Corvette, so no sheetmetal or 4 barrel intake.

The stock LS7 heads and intake already outflow anything that you listed right??

What is better than the stock LS7 intake/head combo??
Old 07-30-2007, 03:20 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

We are finishing up our LS7 cnc ported PRC head right now! Look for it to be ready in about 2 weeks! 385cfm & right about 2200 with hollow stem valves!!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some flow numbers to help this discussion get going:

Stock GM LS7 Heads:
Intake
302 CFM @ .400 lift
343 CFM @ .500 lift
360 CFM @ .600 lift
379 CFM @ .650 lift
? CFM @ .700 lift

Exhaust
200 CFM @ .400 lift
211 CFM @ .500 lift
220 CFM @ .600 lift
224 CFM @ .650 lift
? CFM @ .700 lift

MTI ported GM LS7 heads:
Intake
307 CFM @ .400 lift
351 CFM @ .500 lift
376 CFM @ .600 lift
382 CFM @ .650 lift
385 CFM @ .700 lift

Exhaust
203 CFM @ .400 lift
224 CFM @ .500 lift
233 CFM @ .600 lift
237 CFM @ .650 lift
240 CFM @ .700 lift

ETP LS7 41 Heads:
Intake
307 CFM - .400
340 CFM - .500
355 CFM - .550
365 CFM - .600
374 CFM - .650

Exhaust
199 CFM - .400
220 CFM - .500
224 CFM - .550
226 CFM - .600
229 CFM - .650
What are the flow numbers for this other heads being suggested? And what intakes match to the heads - and how do they flow?

I was faced with the same dilema - and ended up going with the GM LS7 Intake, and ported heads. Simply because I could not get a definitive answer one way or the other.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

All Pro Heads with Jesel Rockers. That is what is going in my 427.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Might want to check and see how the guys running Greg Good's (sp?) ported LS7 heads are doing. Seems like they were pretty happy with his work.....see how they did at the track?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkittleson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm building a new LS7 to replace my LS2. Rotating assy. should be complete in a few weeks. Now I need heads. Looking for something reasonably priced that perform extremly well.

New LS7 heads cost around 2600 + 500 for valve springs and retainers

New ETP heads cost approx. 3000 + 220 for LS7 rockers?

World Products also has new heads that are reasonably price, but flow numbers are unknown...

From what I see there is a modest increase in flow with the ETP's. Will a slightly cleaned up set of LS7 heads outperform them?

Any suggestions good bad or indifferent?

LG Motorsports' LS7 heads are making pretty good power. I believe they are LS7 heads that have been "breathed on" to move the wind more effectively.

I'd try to do what they do. It works.

Jon
Old 07-31-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RC45
Here are some flow numbers to help this discussion get going:

What are the flow numbers for this other heads being suggested? And what intakes match to the heads - and how do they flow?

I was faced with the same dilema - and ended up going with the GM LS7 Intake, and ported heads. Simply because I could not get a definitive answer one way or the other.
Where did you get the numbers for the factory heads???

Those seem a little high too me.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
LG Motorsports' LS7 heads are making pretty good power. I believe they are LS7 heads that have been "breathed on" to move the wind more effectively.

Jon
Probably the smartest person in this site right here^^^^^^^^

True story
Old 07-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Jon

Any actual flow numbers from LG's porting work?

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
Where did you get the numbers for the factory heads???

Those seem a little high too me.
Well - if they are, then my newly ported LS7 heads are kick ****..

I got the numbers from an LS1Tech.com FAQ
Old 07-31-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any actual flow numbers from LG's porting work?
I'm just talking about the results (dyno, etc) LG gets. I don't know how the heads flow, but I think they must be working quite well to get the results. Isn't that what counts?

Any aftermarket heads which aren't just copies of the stock LS7 head will probably need some serious development time. IMO, the LS7 head and it's brothers may be enough different from previous heads that "conventional" SBC, BBC or LS1 thinking might not get one very far trying to improve them. Perhaps the "quality" of the flow in any head is at least as important as the "quantity". "Quantity" (CFM) is certainly easier to measure than "quality".

I think GM spent lots of time/$ getting them where they are. One of the good names in porting had something to do with the LS7, I believe. Remember they are for a production vehicle, so ultimate power isn't the only goal.

It's interesting that if you can make airflow and combustion more efficient ("quality" flow and "quality" burn) not only do you make more power, but you can also improve fuel efficiency and lower emissions. It's a win-win-win situation. That's just a paraphrase of what Bob Lutz said recently and not original with me. I do agree with Mr. Lutz on this.

Jon
Old 07-31-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

I'm just talking about the results (dyno, etc) LG gets. I don't know how the heads flow, but I think they must be working quite well to get the results. Isn't that what counts?

Any aftermarket heads which aren't just copies of the stock LS7 head will probably need some serious development time. IMO, the LS7 head and it's brothers may be enough different from previous heads that "conventional" SBC, BBC or LS1 thinking might not get one very far trying to improve them. Perhaps the "quality" of the flow in any head is at least as important as the "quantity". "Quantity" (CFM) is certainly easier to measure than "quality".

I think GM spent lots of time/$ getting them where they are. One of the good names in porting had something to do with the LS7, I believe. Remember they are for a production vehicle, so ultimate power isn't the only goal.

It's interesting that if you can make airflow and combustion more efficient ("quality" flow and "quality" burn) not only do you make more power, but you can also improve fuel efficiency and lower emissions. It's a win-win-win situation. That's just a paraphrase of what Bob Lutz said recently and not original with me. I do agree with Mr. Lutz on this.

Jon
AMEN,AMEN,AMEN

Maybe they will listen to you.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Here is the link to the flow numbers from my 235cc TEA TFS heads:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/758827-my-new-tfs-235cc-heads-flow-s.html

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Uhm - no.

If I buy a product - spending thousands of dollars, and the product (in this case cam and ported GM heads) puports to be better than other vendors products, I would expect to be provided the data to back these claims up.

The way I understand it, is even after you pay LG to port your LS7 heads, they refuse to give out flow numbers. Adn even after you buy their "secret" cams, they refus eto give you - the new OWNER of said parts, the specs.

What are they hiding?

I mean, look at the rest of this thread - it is quite telling every other after market head vendors - and even GM LS7 porting vendors provide flow data with the product sold.

That says a lot more to me as a consumer than "Check our dynos out - Have a nice day".
Old 07-31-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Uhm - no.

If I buy a product - spending thousands of dollars, and the product (in this case cam and ported GM heads) puports to be better than other vendors products, I would expect to be provided the data to back these claims up.

The way I understand it, is even after you pay LG to port your LS7 heads, they refuse to give out flow numbers. Adn even after you buy their "secret" cams, they refus eto give you - the new OWNER of said parts, the specs.

What are they hiding?

I mean, look at the rest of this thread - it is quite telling every other after market head vendors - and even GM LS7 porting vendors provide flow data with the product sold.

That says a lot more to me as a consumer than "Check our dynos out - Have a nice day".
My guess would be that if LG is "hiding" anything it's their knowledge of what makes the package perform. I believe they have done some (or a lot of) testing of combinations, and are marketing what they know performs. Interesting concept: market actual performance!

Most head porters don't build engines. If their ports work we know because of how the engines with their heads perform, either on the dyno, the street or the track.

If you want to buy "head flow" that is your option. If you want to buy "cam specs" that, too is your option. I really don't know what kind of head and cam specs LG provides to customers. I was just using them (a sponsor) as an example of what is working, and what other folks may try to equal or exceed. Use LG's stuff as a benchmark. When someone else equals or exceeds the performance on the dyno/street/track, you then have other viable options.

If I, personally, were buying such a package and the seller was installing it, I just want to know how it performs and drives. If I were installing it myself I'd want to know the ICL where I should degree in the cam. Anything else is just hype so I can say my heads flow XXX CFM and I have a bigger cam than someone else. If my car is faster, that's what talks to me.

Again, personally, even if I knew the "magic numbers" of what I bought, and my car was fast, I'd lie thru my teeth about those "magic numbers" (flow, durations, lifts, LSA, advance) to mislead my adversaries.

Head flow in CFM (quantity) really isn't the be all and end all of porting. Even if you have the numbers, do you think you can predict how one combination will perform compared to others? If "yes" then you should buy by the numbers.

I'm not saying you are wrong, RC45. You probably wouldn't be a customer of a seller who didn't tell all. You vote with your wallet (or credit card). That's what's great about a free market.

FWIW, I don't have any connecton with LG, nor have I ever talked with them. I just watch and listen. Sometimes(?) I hear more bovine scat than I hear honest, useful information.

Just my take on how all this stuff works.

Jon
Old 07-31-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jkittleson
Why run the non-LS7 style stuff?

It's going in a C6 Corvette, so no sheetmetal or 4 barrel intake.

The stock LS7 heads and intake already outflow anything that you listed right??

What is better than the stock LS7 intake/head combo??
didn`t know about the 4 barrel intake not fitting in the C6 (f-body owner)

I listed the others as cheaper alternatives that will make good power cheaper .....

if the vic jr doesn`t fit then it`s option No.1 (cheaper with good power) or the ls7 combo and check the results on the furtherly ported ones.

and yes I think they outflow them.... but I`d be happy with a 325+ cfm head with a smaller intake port on that engine and I`d call it a day

Last edited by Bader-X; 07-31-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
AMEN,AMEN,AMEN

Maybe they will listen to you.
Well gentleman, the decision was made today.

Called Bobby up at LG Motorsports and purchased their LS7 ported heads, and G7X5 cam.

We'll see in a in about 30-45 days how good they are. I have a nice new LS7 block, Callies crank, rods, WiseCo coated pistons. Will it hit 600 RWHP?!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

My guess would be that if LG is "hiding" anything it's their knowledge of what makes the package perform. I believe they have done some (or a lot of) testing of combinations, and are marketing what they know performs. Interesting concept: market actual performance!

Most head porters don't build engines. If their ports work we know because of how the engines with their heads perform, either on the dyno, the street or the track.

If you want to buy "head flow" that is your option. If you want to buy "cam specs" that, too is your option. I really don't know what kind of head and cam specs LG provides to customers. I was just using them (a sponsor) as an example of what is working, and what other folks may try to equal or exceed. Use LG's stuff as a benchmark. When someone else equals or exceeds the performance on the dyno/street/track, you then have other viable options.

If I, personally, were buying such a package and the seller was installing it, I just want to know how it performs and drives. If I were installing it myself I'd want to know the ICL where I should degree in the cam. Anything else is just hype so I can say my heads flow XXX CFM and I have a bigger cam than someone else. If my car is faster, that's what talks to me.

Again, personally, even if I knew the "magic numbers" of what I bought, and my car was fast, I'd lie thru my teeth about those "magic numbers" (flow, durations, lifts, LSA, advance) to mislead my adversaries.

Head flow in CFM (quantity) really isn't the be all and end all of porting. Even if you have the numbers, do you think you can predict how one combination will perform compared to others? If "yes" then you should buy by the numbers.

I'm not saying you are wrong, RC45. You probably wouldn't be a customer of a seller who didn't tell all. You vote with your wallet (or credit card). That's what's great about a free market.

FWIW, I don't have any connecton with LG, nor have I ever talked with them. I just watch and listen. Sometimes(?) I hear more bovine scat than I hear honest, useful information.

Just my take on how all this stuff works.

Jon
Thank you, you beat me to it and put it much better than I could have.

Quick Reply: What heads for the LS7??