General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

this rattle is annoying please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this rattle is annoying please help!!!

so i took the car out for a drive today and beat on it a little and then i made a stop shut the car off then when i started the car again i put it in reverse to back out i heard this rattleing noise only when accelerated to like 1500-2500 rpm but when the clutch is all the way out and the car is moving it stops........... also it does it in neutral when reved to 1500-2500rpm it rattles... same in first untill the clutch is all the way out then it stops does the same in second... once the cars rolling it stops??? i thought it was the exhaust at first like a clamps loose or like a heat shield or something and the noise seems to be coming from the center under car by the tranny.... havent got under the car yet and tried to figure it out because my car is to low.... what could it be and i will check???
Old 07-30-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd put it on a drive on lift then rev it to try and isolate it, tap on everything with a rubber mallet, etc. Any chance it's a cat coming apart inside? Dunno.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Teching In

I'm having the same problem and tried tracking it down. Seems to be coming from the passengers side, only hear it when I am in reverse and slowly moving. Idk what it is but if I find something I will let you know.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

yea bro let me know if you find out but i was just outside and revving it a little in neutral to like 1500 to like 2000 only tapping the gas is when it does this not when u really accelerate and looked under it and cant find nething because i cant get under it to low... but i heard it can be a few things but i want to narrow it down i heard: heat shields, tanks shield, o2 sensor bracket, cats, loose exhaust, and the 3 that scare me a little.... imput shaft, throw out bearing,or tranny mount.... which would you most likely think it is from the symptoms posted above^??? also is this what is so called gear rattle i really hope not because i hope it is just something loose or cats because if its the cats i will be catless....
Old 08-06-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Try replacing all the rubber exhaust hangers. I had that issue and that fix cleared up ALL the rattles.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I would vote for cats about to go bad on you. Happened to my last Bird, although it was a V-6. Rattle started and then codes followed in a month or so. Sounded like there was a small rock or something rattling on top of a heat shield. But it's really the stuff inside the cat.