Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Exhaust Mistakes Have You Made Before You Got it Right?

Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Exhaust Mistakes Have You Made Before You Got it Right?

It seems like most of the people that I come across with the LS1 have made several mistakes with their exhaust setup before they finally got it "right". I thought it would be interesting to hear all of the different things that you all have tried before you were finally happy with your exhaust setup.

Many people that I talk to seem to have initially went too quiet, too loud, too raspy, or too something until they spent even more of their hard-earned cash on yet another setup. Who takes the trophy for the most money spent before they were happy? Maybe there are a few lucky ones that have actually nailed it on the first try? Some of us will probably never be happy!

Be sure and give specific info. on your setups over the years so this remains a technical discussion.

I don't want this to turn into another thread where everyone argues over what is the "best" sounding setup. Opinions differ,as we all know. I just wanna hear about the treacherous path that led you to your current setup. Thanks guys!

-John
Old 07-30-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had just slp loud mouth on my 01 ws6 then got headers and was to raspy. took that off and put a magnaflow system on it was to quite, then put a flowmaster 90 setup that was the same but it just felt cheap to me.. i put the slp LM back on and replaced the resonator with a dynomax muffler.

on my 99 frc, it was just x pipe and slp LM, got headers with no cats sounded great, put cam in it was way to loud so i put stock Z06 system on.

yea i spent a lot of money....
Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my gmmg made me slower over my magnaflow catback. i don't have dyno numbers but it was seat of the pants noticable. this was on a full bolt on car by the way.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

First off was the 80 series flowaster, sounded good but just didnt do it for me after the cam it was to quite, then put a cutout on it (clip in the sig) and it had no definition in the sound so i finally did the duals.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

1st - stock exhuast with muffler removed (decent sound, just got tired of it)
2nd - added longtubes with ory ( loud, unrefined sound)
3rd - added hooker muffler ( made car ALOT quieter, but sounds good)
4th - added cutout ( happy medium = loud when I want it to be)

Changed about every two months
Old 07-30-2007, 08:51 PM
dug
Banned

I was warned about the rasp so I went overkill with the muffler. Now I wish it had a tip on each side to keep it symetrical
Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. I installed the original SLP LM in 2002 with stock manifolds/cats = way too load & raspy for my likes!
2. Replaced the LM with GMMG also using stock manifolds/cats = loved it.
3. Installed LT headers w/high flow cats = louder and still loved it.
4. Installed a electric cut out in i-pipe = I'm not a big fan of the sound with the cut out all the way open, but do like it opened 1/2 way now and then...its adjustable so I still love it.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL where do i begin????

My car has come a long way as far as my exhaust goes. I went through 6 exhaust sytems till i finally got the right one

Anyways here is my saga.. Tell me what ya think

Stock Manifolds + Stock Y + Stock C/B

Stock Manifolds + Stock Y + Stock C/B + DMH Cut Out

Stock Manifolds + Stock Y + GMMG C/B

Stock Manifolds + MagnaFlow O/R X Pipe + MagnaPack Mufflers

QTP LTs + MagnaFlow 3" O/R X Pipe + MagnaPack Mufflers

QTP LTs + Custom 3" O/R H + 1 Chamber Flowmaster THIS SET UP IS A KEEPER

Now where i am now, click idle clip in sig. same as above, jsut with a cam
Old 07-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Teching In

When i first got my car i tried making my own ory with stock manifolds....didnt work out to well but im glad someone is always trying to sell their stock y....

Ive had my car for almost three years and still dont know what kind of exhaust is on it lol all i know its a 3" catback (been to lazy to pull it down and see what it is lol) w/ a cut out it sounds great but im wanting something more so pacesetters and tsp tds are in the mail
Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

I am so happy about mine man It cost me a lot but I am rather picky so I did not went the "First I'll do this and later I will finish the whole thing". I went with true duals with Magnaflows and corsa tips. I love it so far problably go with louder muflers later on or not.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Bought the Flowmaster 80 series then switched to GMMG and never going back.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC

Maybe there are a few lucky ones that have actually nailed it on the first try?

-John
Got my GMMG to replace my stock catback. This was actually the very first mod on my bone stock car, even over a lid. I bought into the "hype" I was always reading about the GMMG, so I bought it without hearing it in person. Best purchase I've ever made and now I'm a bonafide GMMG Nutswinger. . Added Kooks LTs and Catted Y, only got better. While I may have got "lucky" with my own personal taste, I believe that hearing exhaust setups in person is the way to go to avoid switching exhausts 5 or 6 times.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned

1) Stock - sucked

2) Stock manifolds, cats, magnaflow - nice tone, quiet

3) Stock manifolds, cats, TSP rumbler - wanted it louder

4) Edelbrock LT's, ORY, TSP rumbler - but not THAT loud, or THAT raspy

5) Edelbrock LT's, ORY, Spintech catback - that's REALLY nice sounding, perfect blend of tone and decible!

6) Edelbrock LT's, ORY, Spintech, Heads and Cam - same as above but a more distict rumble and stronger pulses.. sounds amazing

NEXT UP:

true duals off the headers with an X-pipe and 2 borla XR-1's dumped at the rear axle.. (I heard the Spintech was costing me some ponies and it still does have some rasp at 2200-2600)
Old 07-30-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
LOL where do i begin????

My car has come a long way as far as my exhaust goes. I went through 6 exhaust sytems till i finally got the right one

Anyways here is my saga.. Tell me what ya think

Stock Manifolds + Stock Y + Stock C/B

Stock Manifolds + Stock Y + Stock C/B + DMH Cut Out

Stock Manifolds + Stock Y + GMMG C/B

Stock Manifolds + MagnaFlow O/R X Pipe + MagnaPack Mufflers

QTP LTs + MagnaFlow 3" O/R X Pipe + MagnaPack Mufflers

QTP LTs + Custom 3" O/R H + 1 Chamber Flowmaster THIS SET UP IS A KEEPER

Now where i am now, click idle clip in sig. same as above, jsut with a cam
Great post! Exhaust details and sound clips like this could take hours for a newcomer to put together-even if you know where to look. Great posts by asmodeus and others as well. I think this will be very helpful to alot of newbies and pros alike.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 07-31-2007, 12:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not doing stainless from the start. if u have any pride in ur vehicle the mild steel wont appease u for very long. aluminized or not rust will develop.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:07 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

I bought the car with 33,000 on it.
1. Stock manifolds/Y & turbo muffler with 3.5" pipes.
2. Stock manifolds/Y w/GMMG - perfect. Got louder with 3000 stall, esp. cold.
3. LT/ORY w/GMMG - very loud and extreme rasp.
4. LT/ORY w/Hooker - quieter but still too much rasp.
5. LT/2.5 catted Y w/Flowmaster merge, Hooker. No rasp, sounds good, but quiet.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Here we go :takes deep breath:...

First, I decided to only weld in a magnaflow muffler. Liked the sound, looked ugly. Then, I added a cut-out (right before the I-pipe enters the muffler), that sounded ok. Next, added coated longtubes with ORY, really liked the new sound and the fitment wasn't bad. After a while, decided to give TSP duals dumped at the axle a try. That got old real quick. Went back to catback exhaust (SLP D/D), and can't see myself going back. After my Jet-Hots rusted (after re-coating), I decided to get a set of XS stainless longtubes and Y-pipe. Still having trouble with banging, keeping the spark plug wires from melting, and vibrations throughout my car...

All that pretty much sums up my exhausting exhaust experience (no pun intended, well maybe just a little...).
Old 07-31-2007, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

nothing. I went with XS LT's and ORy with an open borla and couldnt havbe been happier. My only regret may be that im considering true duals but thats only because a Y pipe at my power level is becomming a restriction
Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

bought the 80 series flowmaster thinking it would sound as loud as most cars wrong almost was like having it stock but sounded good though. Ordered LM1 bullet while i was waiting for my bullet to come in i cut the exhaust since it was going to get cut anyway and had it running out under my car sounded like a dump truck wrong move again. Had the LM put in and was nice at first but got sick of it very quickly especially on the freeway and it doesn't have any tone and i took the cat off and it was even worse( it actually sounded decent with the cat). then after cat was off i bought a long powerstick and swaped out the LM and couldn't be happier, its still very loud but much deeper and no more freeway drone i would recommend a powerstick to anyone that is thinking of LM muffler because its just as loud and deeper.
BTW all these setups were with headers, no cats, mild cam.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

It seems like the "grass is always greener on the other side" when it comes to exhaust. Just when you think your setup sounds good, you hear another car with a different setup and you start to get new ideas...

I am running the LM2 with the SLP Y pipe, but I am already thinking about going to the Borlamouth or the Magnamouth to change the tone a bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Exhaust Mistakes Have You Made Before You Got it Right?