Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR224 114/AFR 205's a good match up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question TR224 114/AFR 205's a good match up?

what kinda gains you guys think i'd net from this...?

Mods:
Lid
K&N
LT's
ORY
LM1
BBK SSI Manifold
80mm TB
Tune
Old 07-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just get the AFR cam (224/228)....

I already did all the research and dyno testing for you....still perfectly civil to drive every day and will make more power than the cam you are questioning and inquiring about.

If you already own it dont lose sleep over the difference (about 6-7 less HP), but if you dont already own it and have to buy one or the other, our cam definately gets the nod.

Tony M.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Just get the AFR cam (224/228)....

I already did all the research and dyno testing for you....still perfectly civil to drive every day and will make more power than the cam you are questioning and inquiring about.

If you already own it dont lose sleep over the difference (about 6-7 less HP), but if you dont already own it and have to buy one or the other, our cam definately gets the nod.

Tony M.
Hey Tony! Didn't know you were a member on here... I spoke to you a long time ago over the phone... I used to work over at RKSport with Jim Wright, I called you when your heads first came out I think it was

This car is a daily driver, and I definately want more HP then what I have now, but I also don't want to lose sight of the fact that I depend on this car to get me from A to B and drive it everyday as needed, so I can't go overboard... do you think a 224/228 won't be overly aggressive? I also live in Phoenix where it gets really hot, so AC use is a must...

what kinda gains did you see with that setup?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

bump
Old 07-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with Tony. If you've aready got the tr224 or are getting it cheap used then it will still kick ***, but if your buying a cam new you should get what the guy who made the heads says to get. Its a proven combo, if you could do a good search you would find plenty of good stuff on it.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I have to agree with Tony. If you've aready got the tr224 or are getting it cheap used then it will still kick ***, but if your buying a cam new you should get what the guy who made the heads says to get. Its a proven combo, if you could do a good search you would find plenty of good stuff on it.
I haven't gotten a cam yet... and I have absolutely no argument with what you guys are suggesting... my worries are around the DD thing... (read my 2nd post)
Old 07-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

No worries on the DD thing, that cam and those heads will be perfect for a daily driven car.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from 340rwhp/340rwtq with headers only. 380rwhp/370rwtq with the tr224 cam and an underdrive pully. With the AFR 205's milled 0.030 and a stock GM gasket I went to 423rwhp/403rwtq. Car is great for a DD.

If I had it to do over I would get the "Mamo" Cam. Check in the dyno section, there was a thread on my AFR results.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Good to know... everytime i talk about a cam I seem to be bumping it up one more notch... i'll be in the 240's in no time!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

actually... you gotta link to those AFR results? I couldn't find it...
Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Banned

from AFR's website
http://www.airflowresearch.com/ls1_dyno.php
Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Either would work. The XE-R lobes a little faster off the seat and have a little more curtain area to make for a better idle and a cleaner pull. The TR lobes won't beat up the springs much at all. I've seen Patriot Gold springs run perfectly with the TR or Futral Cam Motion lobes for a long time without losing any spring pressure. XE-R lobes eventually wear down the springs, but it takes a while. The alternative, is to step up to the 8019 spring from AFR and then run some Crane Gold or Yella Terra lightweight rockers.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

2 proven products!!! your good to go!!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Wes...

I still haven't painted the hood I got from you guys two years ago....LOL (but Im replacing my factory quarter panels soon which should help motivate me to get everything done. If the week was nine days long I might have a chance!)

Anyway....the cam I am suggesting and ran for over a year is the perfect true dual purpose cam in a 346 CID build. Perfectly streetable (can lug it around a slow corner in 3rd gear without protest) and makes great power with the right complimenting mods. The 114 LSA helps keep it very tame and also hang on well past peak power.

You wont be disappointed if you get it. Slight lope at an idle....barely audible in the 825 RPM range....if you like to "hear" the cam set it a 750 where it wont be quite as stealthy.

Call me if you have any othe questions or concerns....

(661)257-8124 Ext. 109
Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Hello Wes...

I still haven't painted the hood I got from you guys two years ago....LOL (but Im replacing my factory quarter panels soon which should help motivate me to get everything done. If the week was nine days long I might have a chance!)

Anyway....the cam I am suggesting and ran for over a year is the perfect true dual purpose cam in a 346 CID build. Perfectly streetable (can lug it around a slow corner in 3rd gear without protest) and makes great power with the right complimenting mods. The 114 LSA helps keep it very tame and also hang on well past peak power.

You wont be disappointed if you get it. Slight lope at an idle....barely audible in the 825 RPM range....if you like to "hear" the cam set it a 750 where it wont be quite as stealthy.

Call me if you have any othe questions or concerns....

(661)257-8124 Ext. 109
STILL haven't painted the hood!!!!! You using it as a paperweight or what?

Alright... well that cam and heads setup sounds exactly what i'm looking for then... I'll be giving you a call once I get my next mod finished..

BBK will be having my car in the near future, they sponsered me and will be putting the car in GMHTP after they install some LT's, IM, TB, and I get it tuned... should be some good gains from what i'm used too so... aftwards it'll just be begging for a set of heads and cam...
Old 08-02-2007, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have a 98ss m6 of course, that has a tr224 cam already in it, (the 112 lobe), also has underdrive pulleys, slp air box lid, fast toys ram air is being shipped, slp headers and exhaust, still has cats, and i think that is it. i just bought the car 2 weeks ago so i may be forgetting something. i now have to make the choice of heads, and it looks like ima go with the afr 205 heads as all the forums i read suggested these over anything, especially for a daily driver. but what other mods can i perform after the heads and what do you think my power will be at when i put them on. i was told 362rwhp and 375rwtq as of now. (and taking modded gt's from 6 cars back and break light starts makes me believe it, and love it) but yea back to the question of what can i do to get more, and where do you think i will stand after the 205's if those numbers are correct?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

I made 441 rwhp 410rwtq with that exact setup almost....
Old 08-02-2007, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
Hey Tony! Didn't know you were a member on here... I spoke to you a long time ago over the phone... I used to work over at RKSport with Jim Wright, I called you when your heads first came out I think it was

This car is a daily driver, and I definately want more HP then what I have now, but I also don't want to lose sight of the fact that I depend on this car to get me from A to B and drive it everyday as needed, so I can't go overboard... do you think a 224/228 won't be overly aggressive? I also live in Phoenix where it gets really hot, so AC use is a must...

what kinda gains did you see with that setup?
You can’t go wrong with this setup. I’ve been running the 205’s and the 224/228 cam for a couple of years. It has great street manners and pulls like hell from just about any rpm. Don’t worry about the drivability. As long as it’s tuned correctly you’ll barely notice there’s an aftermarket cam in there. It also puts a lot of larger cams to shame. I have old TPIS headers, stock tb, and an LS6 intake, and without speed shifting I run pretty consistant 123-124mph in the ¼ . I’m leaving this setup alone until I blow it up!
Old 08-02-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, dont mean to hijack this thread, but you can run a head and cam pkg, stand alone without ANY other supporting mods? Im from cali so dont even mention long tubes! would a stand alone head and cam pkg pass smog?
Old 08-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by theycallmealex89
i have a 98ss m6 of course, that has a tr224 cam already in it, (the 112 lobe), also has underdrive pulleys, slp air box lid, fast toys ram air is being shipped, slp headers and exhaust, still has cats, and i think that is it. i just bought the car 2 weeks ago so i may be forgetting something. i now have to make the choice of heads, and it looks like ima go with the afr 205 heads as all the forums i read suggested these over anything, especially for a daily driver. but what other mods can i perform after the heads and what do you think my power will be at when i put them on. i was told 362rwhp and 375rwtq as of now. (and taking modded gt's from 6 cars back and break light starts makes me believe it, and love it) but yea back to the question of what can i do to get more, and where do you think i will stand after the 205's if those numbers are correct?
You could better the combo by having Tony port you a FAST90 to go with your AFR's. He does paint them as well if you like.