General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window motor stuck down!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Exclamation Window motor stuck down!

Problem! Window motor is stuck down and it's getting dark with no garage to park it in! Quick way to get it back up without tearing the door apart?

I had the motor and regulator replaced about two months ago with supposedly new parts and after about a month it started crapping out. I think it has something to do with the safety mechanism. Anyways, what happens is if I try to roll the window up OR down all the way, it'll resist against the weatherstripping (or bottom of the window?) after its closed and the kill switch will kick in (I think thats what it is?). What could be the problem and how do I resolve it? The switch isn't bad and the motor shouldn't be weak either, although it is slower than the passenger side it is supposedly new. I didn't have the tools available to do the window motor replacement when it died last time (and couldn't be raised up), and I don't trust anyone else now to get it "fixed".

Help?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Cmon guys, help? Search isn't working! This is the third time (total) that I've had to empty the car and cover the drivers side window opening with a plastic trash bag overnight!
Old 08-01-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could have ripped the door apart by now and just pushed the window up.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

I don't think there is a quick way to get the window up with out taking the door apart.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

Is it as simple as removing the door panel and pushing up, or do I have to disconnect the motor and the regulator and find a way to wedge it in place temporarily?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a gear mechanism in there.

If it is a factory motor, you will have to drill out the rivets, if it has been changed before, it is most likely bolted in. Just loosen it up so you can free up the gear. Then just push it up. You might even be able to push it up without loosening it, that way it is still on the gear connected to the locked motor, which will hold it up by itself.

Hope I could help.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

some times and this could work when the a window motor takes a crap. If it is down Try banging on the door with the button pressed in the up position. The Jolts can make the motor work for a second or two. Worked once for me on my old 88 GTA
Old 08-07-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Problem! Window motor is stuck down and it's getting dark with no garage to park it in! Quick way to get it back up without tearing the door apart?

I had the motor and regulator replaced about two months ago with supposedly new parts and after about a month it started crapping out. I think it has something to do with the safety mechanism. Anyways, what happens is if I try to roll the window up OR down all the way, it'll resist against the weatherstripping (or bottom of the window?) after its closed and the kill switch will kick in (I think thats what it is?). What could be the problem and how do I resolve it? The switch isn't bad and the motor shouldn't be weak either, although it is slower than the passenger side it is supposedly new. I didn't have the tools available to do the window motor replacement when it died last time (and couldn't be raised up), and I don't trust anyone else now to get it "fixed".

Help?
Take the door panel off and smack the area of the door where the motor is. Smack it a bunch of times and it should free it up and it will work again. If it the motor didn't fail totally it'll work. If it works, sopray the **** out of it, drench it, with WD-40 while raising and lowering the window.

Surface corrosion causes it to freeze up and doesn't let the current flow through the coils.

Hope it works for ya.

Also, sometimes you can just smack the door panel and it'll work.

Quick Reply: Window motor stuck down!