General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC orifice tube location on 95 5.7 TA???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC orifice tube location on 95 5.7 TA???

I need help! My AC stopped working. Compressor seems fine, no contamination in high or low side lines.

I know next to nothing about AC systems but am ready to learn.

High side pressure line is not pressurizing even though low side freon is fine.

My mechanic suggested that the orifice tube is likely plugged. He said it is usually located on the high side line prior to the evaporator/dryer. I took all the lines off today and could not find it???

Can someone plainly explain to me exactly where the orifice tube is located on my car so I can examine/replace it? Thanks.

PS: I found this on the site already "The orifice tube is located in the evaporator inlet pipe at the liquid line connection". I interpreted this to mean the 12 inch long high side aluminum pipe that goes from the firewall box to the evap cooler - I took it off and looked....no orifice tube. I then took off the low pressure line and the high pressure line that exits the evap (thing in front of the cooler) at the bottom of the car....I could not find it anywhere.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

anyone? I would like to fix this today if possible.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

ttt - still no answer?
Old 08-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Launching!

your mechanic is correct, but it's located down in the line of the evaporator core a little ways in there...the small line out of the evaporator will have a crimp in it, this prevents the orifice tube from being installed to far down into the evaporator..they make a special puller for this, but you can use needle nose pliers...you will need to squirt refregerant oil and pull straight out....if you break it off you will have to install a new evap. core, also pay attention to how it comes out you will have to install it the same way or it will not cool.....hard to explain this without sounding like a retard, but I hope this helps....
Old 08-03-2007, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

OK - figured it out - called the dealer.....they said there is NO orifice tube on a 95 5.7 - only on the 3.8 - 5.7 uses an expansion valve instead.....duh.

I love the fact that autozone sold me one for my car anyway.

......i will leave this post up instead of deleting to hopefully save anyone else the pain of looking.......feel
Old 08-04-2007, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

in case it helps anyone....turns out that it was a bad expansion valve. I put a new one in today, charged the system, and all was cold once again.

Quick Reply: AC orifice tube location on 95 5.7 TA???