Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes the section of the exhaust on a 98' camaro differ from an 02?'

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What makes the section of the exhaust on a 98' camaro differ from an 02?'

I have the Edelbrock shorties, so will the 02' systems work? The reason I ask is that I currently have hollowed out stock ones and I want to go to hi-flow ones. I have emissions to deal with. I found a guy who has a set of Magnaflow ones on his 02'. The have less than 300 miles. I want to buy them, but I want to make sure they will work. If not, does anyone have any suggestions on what size, brand and part number hi-flow cats I can buy to have welded in the stock ones place?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cats or the y pipe?

the Y pipe w/ cats WONT work. the 98-99 used a different manifold so they had different y pipes and cats from 00-02 years
Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 AM
Staging Lane

I'm referring to the pipe which the cats are welded on to. What if the car has aftermarket headers such as I do. I have the Edelbrock shorties. Will there still be a difference?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whole upper portion is a lil diff
Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

if you both have the same aftermarket headers than it should work...most header designs don't differ year to year other than air/egr ports..not actuall size and shape
Old 08-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like I read somewhere that the 2002 Z/28 & SS models received the Corvette stock Z06 exhaust manifolds which flows as good as shorty / & mid-length headers and one would not gain anything by going to the expense of installing those . Has anyone else heard this ?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

As long as you have EGR and AIR still and the placement of the cats are the same, it would pass emissions. It should bolt up regardless.

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
Seems like I read somewhere that the 2002 Z/28 & SS models received the Corvette stock Z06 exhaust manifolds which flows as good as shorty / & mid-length headers and one would not gain anything by going to the expense of installing those . Has anyone else heard this ?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....81&postcount=3

PUP CATALYTIC CONVERTERS
Firebirds equipped with the LS1 borrow a page from the Corvette by adding a pair of pup converters for model year 2001. Mounted upstream from the primary catalytic converters, the pups heat more quickly and reach emissions light-off temperature before the primary converters. The pups help all 2001 LS1s meet Low Emissions Vehicle (LEV) requirements.

CAST EXHAUST MANIFOLDS
Pup converters also allow the LS1 to be fitted with cast iron exhaust manifolds developed for the LS6. These manifolds increase exhaust flow slightly and reduce cost considerably. They are also more durable than the dual-wall stainless manifolds on the 2000 LS1. Other things equal, cast manifolds take longer to reach full operating temperature than stainless, but with the pup catalysts light-off is still achieved in less than 20 seconds. A new gasket allows the manifolds to be used interchangeably between the LS1 and LS6.

Last edited by Keenov; 08-02-2007 at 02:03 PM.