Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Please Help!! Car not going into certain gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!! Car not going into certain gears

I just did the LS7/LS2 swap with a new master and new slave, including the drill mod. After getting everything all buttoned up, I started the car and it only goes into 1st, 4th, and sometimes 6th. The engagement seems fine when I let the clutch out in 1st and 4th. I've bled the **** out of the system, atleast 20-30 times so far. Can anyone give me any advice? (hopefully soon!)
Old 08-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u shim the slave? sounds like your not disengaging the clutch all the way dude or do u have an adjustable master cylinder?
Old 08-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Launching!

No slave shim, and no adjustable master. Completely stock replacements.

It goes into every gear fine while its moving. If I start in 1st, I can go through every single one without much effort. Its just from neutral where I run into problems.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

well, although you have 'stock replacements,' theyre not good enough.

You have a 99, with shitty hydralics. The parts you used are more 'heavy duty' than the stock ls1 clutch that came in the car, so you will need more fluid pressure to move the PP and stuff.

Basically, you need an adj. master. WS6store.com has them at a great price, and i just put mine in a few weeks ago. My car would go into gear okay, but not perfect and had a hard time going in to reverse....until the master was changed. The hydralics on the 98-00s were almost good enough, but they werent made for the clutches we use. And an adj master is nice to have anyway
Old 08-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Launching!

I've got the 01-02 stuff.

I got it off from the jackstands and moved it back and forth in the garage. The deployment is spot on. When I let the clutch out, it smoothly gets up and goes. The problem is its just hard to get the shifter into the gears. This isn't making alot of sense..

Also, the car goes into every gear flawlessly with the car shut off, but I just tried with the car on the ON position (but not cranked) and its giving me hell to put it into the gears, just like it was running. What would cause that?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Solved! I'm guessing my skip shift was tuned out, because on a hunch I unplugged it and now, even running, I can get it in every gear except reverse. I'm guessing my reverse lockout is having some problems.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it would be your skip shift... it'll lock you out of 2nd and 3rd so hence your problems. If you leave it unplugged you'll just have an SES light on. You can only get it in reverse when you are stopped... unless maybe you plugged the harness in the wrong one? I'm not sure if thats possible though i would think they are different plugs for the CAGS solenoid and the reverse lockout.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Yes it would be your skip shift... it'll lock you out of 2nd and 3rd so hence your problems. If you leave it unplugged you'll just have an SES light on. You can only get it in reverse when you are stopped... unless maybe you plugged the harness in the wrong one? I'm not sure if thats possible though i would think they are different plugs for the CAGS solenoid and the reverse lockout.
I tried plugging both plugs into the reverse lockout and only one would go in, and I had the same symptoms.. I have a new one on the way, so we'll see if thats it. I need to get my EGR/AIR tuned out anyway, so an SES light won't phase me. I'll be getting it tuned out when I get my SFCs welded on anyway. Quite a relief that I don't have to take the tranny back off.

Quick Reply: Please Help!! Car not going into certain gears