PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing ses light but won't log to memory.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing ses light but won't log to memory.

Someone help! this is starting to drive me crazy.

My car only during hard shifts with a m6 will cause the ses light to flash for approx 20sec even after getting all the way out it. When the light starts flashing the car falls it it's face. If I stay in it the performance will come back untill the next gear change. Tried to scan the pcm to find out what codes were stored came back with no problems. Did it before the headers and still does it. If I start out in any one gear and don't change the cars pulls hard all the way to redline, but as soon as I shift it starts flashing and fall s on it's face.

I was thinking it was a bad knock sensor but the pcm is not storing the code. Could it be the pcm itself?

Thanks for the help
Mods in sig.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Flashing ses light but won't log to memory.

A flashing SES light is a misfire. It probably goes away quick enough so as not to trigger the a DTC. If it remained for a length of time you'd get a P0300 (random misfire) and then P030(fill in cylinder number here) code
Old 05-20-2003, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Check your plug wires.

You have to use quite a bit of force to get them seated correctly. You should hear a little "click" sound when they're seated all the way.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Hey CMNTMXR57 (I think that's right), I got a '98 Dyna Super Glide. 1998 was the last year of the Evolution engine. With almost 20 years of production, I think they got it right . Cams really wake these engines up; I put an Andrews EV-46--nice cam. Anyway, ride safe!
Old 05-20-2003, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick replies.

What else could be causing it besides a lose spark plug wire. The reason I ask is with the stock wires I changed plugs twice and when I put the headers on I put new plugs and taylor wires on at the same time. I'll check the wires again just to make sure they're on good and post back.

I'll be putting a cam and rearend in within the next few weeks and wanted to make sure this wasn't something that was going cause a problem when I take it to get tuned.

Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Well, a flashing SES light is because of misfires (as mentioned), besides the wires, less likely, is the coils.