Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor Interchangability.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor Interchangability.....

Hoping you guys can help me on this one. I've spent the last hour searching with no concrete yes/no answer.

I bought a '03 GMC Yukon SLT 4wd with the 5.3L in it a few weeks ago. Well just my luck the A/C has gone out the first day of 95+ degree temps. It started with a clacking noise, which I narrowed down to the tensioner on the A/C belt hitting it's built in stop. It usually only happened right after startup, and for just a few seconds then went away. Yesterday at lunch it broke, then broke the belt . Last night I replaced the tensioner (broken stop), and the belt, however the clacking noise is even more pronounced now, however, goes away when I turn the A/C off. I went and did some research on fullsizechevy.com and found a few threads that say the reed valves in the compressor are shot, and the compressor needs replacement. They also say that a bad fan clutch will cause too much pressure on the reed valves, so I'm going to put a new fan clutch on while I've got the truck apart.......anyway....

Here's where my question comes in....I have a friend that has two compressors from an LS1 swap project sitting in his garage. He also has the tools to replace and recharge the system for me. He's graciously offered to let me have one of those (I'm gonna give him some cash for it anyway) if I can verify that his compressor will fit on my engine.

Can anyone verify that the LS1 engines use the same A/C compressor as the LS based truck engines?

Thanks in advance for any/all help!
Old 08-03-2007, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

Hey im going through the same thing . just see if you can get the part number off your compressor and match it to the one form the ls1.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Teching In

I went to Napa's site online, and the part numbers for the 5.3 compressor, and the LS1 compressor are different (what the difference is I'm not sure). I used a '02 Camaro with 5.7L as the car for the parts lookup there.....Not sure how accurate that is though.

Anyone else have a concrete yes/no answer? or other ideas to try?
Old 08-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Trying to decide if I'm driving to Indianapolis tomorrow or not......Anyone have some more thoughts for me?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Teching In

OK I took some pics of the A/C compressor....Can someone look at the compressor on thier F-body or 'Vette and tell me if it looks similar to this one? I'd greatly appreciate it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u/YukonAC
Old 08-03-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks totally different to me
Old 08-03-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

the main difference would most likely be how far the clutch is extended. even the water pump is different because of the space between the pump and where the belt rides on the pulley. i bet if you swap the clutches it would work. because the comp. on my 5.3 looked the same. just measure the clutch from the body to where the belt rides.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies fellas....We are postponing the swap until next friday afternoon due to work schedules.....

That said, I look on ebay last night at some, and it appears that the fittings for the lines are located on the back of the 5.7 compressor, while the 5.3 has them on the side of the compressor.

I'm going to lean on the dealer a little more and see if they are willing to help any at all. Hell I'd settle for them just covering the parts at this point.