General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start sometimes

First off, I'm sorry if this is not where this thread belongs. I have a 2000 Z28 Camaro with 61K mi., and I have had not problems at all with it since I've owned it (almost 2 years), and all of a sudden I stop to get gas the other day, and when I go to start it up...it won't start. It turns over, but it acts like it is not getting any fuel. I waited about 20 seconds and tried starting it again and it fired right up. After I got it started it ran perfect. I stopped again like 5 minutes later and turned it off, and the same thing happened. I don't have any major mods... just cat-back, K&N FIPK, and DiabloSport tune. And all of the mods have been on there a while. I use nothing less than 91 octane and fill up at what seems to be "good" gas stations. It doesn't do this all of the time either. Sometimes it will start right up, sometimes it won't. I hooked my DiabloSport tuner up to it and ran diagnostics, but there were no code errors, probably because it was starting fine when I checked them. Also, the fuel pump seems to be working fine, because I listen for it everytime before I start the car. Anyone know that it could be????
Old 08-03-2007, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my old 94 camaro and just had to clean out the throttle body. Starting problems can be alot of things but if the air coming in is being blocked by build up around the throttle plate, it can have a hard time starting. This same thing has happened to my work vans and my moms car. Get some throttle body and carb cleaner, spray it and wipe it off. Sometimes its a rough start afterwords because of the fumes so I pry the plate open for about ten minutes with screw driver handle to keep from damaging the plate and air out the intake.