LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

450 hp natual/stock internals is it possible???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450 hp natual/stock internals is it possible???

I'm looking to get the most out of my 96 T/A. My question is, is it possible and what is needed to get 450 hp from a stock block and internals. I'm very aware that a turbo/supercharger and or nitrous would work great but I'm looking to have a complete N/A engine with stock crank, rods and pistons to put out over 400hp. I know this can't be impossible considering other engines out in the market today.
I would like to have alittle guidance in the diretion to go i.e. can ported stock heads do this or do I need aftermarket? What type of cam would I need would an LT4 Hot cam work. Do I need an LT4 intake and throttle body can the stock one be ported out to work. Fuel delivery, exhaust and other things outside the engine I can figure out. I know I'll need alot of airflow to get that kind of power.
Any tips or direction would be helpful.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

You could make over 400 rwhp with stock casting ported heads and a custom cam. The stock intake ported is a good manifold. I would call lloyd elliot or advanced induction.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tes87gn
I'm looking to get the most out of my 96 T/A. My question is, is it possible and what is needed to get 450 hp from a stock block and internals. I'm very aware that a turbo/supercharger and or nitrous would work great but I'm looking to have a complete N/A engine with stock crank, rods and pistons to put out over 400hp. I know this can't be impossible considering other engines out in the market today.
I would like to have alittle guidance in the diretion to go i.e. can ported stock heads do this or do I need aftermarket? What type of cam would I need would an LT4 Hot cam work. Do I need an LT4 intake and throttle body can the stock one be ported out to work. Fuel delivery, exhaust and other things outside the engine I can figure out. I know I'll need alot of airflow to get that kind of power.

You have a lot of very wrong ideas and relatively little understanding of things. Step away from the car scale back your plans and spend time on research.

The HOT cam is not a good choice for such an aggressive goal, frankly unattainable goal from someone so obviously inexperianced. Over 400rwhp is doable on a stock shortblock, 450rwhp NA is unrealistic even for experianced knowledgable guys, at least if it is atall a street car.

The LT4 intake is internally the same as the LT1, the throttle body is the same as the LT1. Some places port stockers to 54mm but 52mm is more common.

I am sure you don't like my answers, but listen to me and you can save yourself a lot of money and headaches. Most kids instead decide they know more than the experianced guys though and have to fuckup the whole car before they will learn a damned thing.

When it comes time to do heads and cam, porting the stockers is THE way to go especially for a 350ci motor, the cam will not be a HOT cam though, and the LT4 intake pointless hassle.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

you can just port the tb, get a cc503 cam, ported stock heads and full bolt ons and you should be around 400whp which is about 450bhp
Old 08-04-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LT4 hot cam deff not gonna make it happen for you..bigger cam, ported stock heads, full bolt ons as already said, and listen to the knowledgeable guys
Old 08-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

306 has proven itself over and over and might be obtainable with some good heads and good tune...
if not put a 306 stock heads and 150 shot....that will make near 500
Old 08-04-2007, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

You are looking at least 4 grand to make that kinda power at the wheels all motor. Over 2000 for the port work and cam and 500 for a Dyno tune. 500+ for Longtube headers. 500 for Misc. parts to replace after being tore down. and 500 for a throttle body and 1:6rocker arms. At least 4 grand if you are doing all the work yourself. Thats just what i see. If you knew how to port the heads your self and the intake, you could save your self a lot of money. But I would leave it up to LE like i did. Be prepared to spend alittle. LT1 is a great motor, but good flowing heads it doesnt have unless hogged out.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hopefully someone who has put down 450 to the wheel, all motor, stock cubes, etc.. will post up their setup. I put 4k into an ls1 and was only at like 340rwhp! I'm at 375rwhp on my current lt1(lt4 top end) and the receipts from previous owners show several thousand. I priced out a custom cam swap at around 3k(replacing the entire valvetrain) and I'm hoping for 400 or so rwhp. Good luck! If you get it, please post up.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you put $4K into an LS1 (not counting for labor) and if it was just into the motor and yo only have 340RWHP then your doing something wrong. As far as a Stock Cube LT1 and Stock Bottom end, 450RWHP is just not possible not for something on the street. Save some effort and money and get a good size cam, good ported stock heads and put a 100 shot on it and you'll be there easily. Naturally Aspirated LT1's are not dyno queens, 383's even have trouble reaching that mark, but they run strong as hell and with the right set-up on the car can run quicker then cars with much more hp. Dyno numbers arent what you should be concerned with, especially with LT1's, track times are the best indicator
Old 08-04-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

if you want that kind of power AND want to remain street friendly or semi-street friendly, go FI (nitrous, supercharger, turbo).

by the way zlover129, your car looks awesome, i love that color scheme.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zlover129
If you put $4K into an LS1 (not counting for labor) and if it was just into the motor and yo only have 340RWHP then your doing something wrong. As far as a Stock Cube LT1 and Stock Bottom end, 450RWHP is just not possible not for something on the street. Save some effort and money and get a good size cam, good ported stock heads and put a 100 shot on it and you'll be there easily. Naturally Aspirated LT1's are not dyno queens, 383's even have trouble reaching that mark, but they run strong as hell and with the right set-up on the car can run quicker then cars with much more hp. Dyno numbers arent what you should be concerned with, especially with LT1's, track times are the best indicator

That 4k was including labor and stall, ring and pinion gears, lid, CAI, ported tb plus some suspension. What's power if you can't put it to the ground?

Sorry...should've been more specific.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95N20FORMULA
you can just port the tb, get a cc503 cam, ported stock heads and full bolt ons and you should be around 400whp which is about 450bhp
CC 503 putting you close to 400 RWHP?????
Old 08-04-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tes87gn

need a lot of research.... Not going to do it with a stock N/A bottom end...well you might once or twice...then the big Kaboom. If your over 100k on the motor I would just save up for a decent bottom end to help you support your 450 goal. LT4 valve train will not get you there. Take your heads to Lloyd, AI, Port Pros. A good head cam package from them will run about $1700 and up. The you need all your supporting mods, full exhaust, T/B, some suspension, computer tuning, converter if it's an A4 or a good clutch for the M6. Get an idea of where you want to end up first. Good luck

P.S if you have an M6 that 7.5 rear end won't last long. Gone through 3 posi's my self in less than a year

Last edited by streetwarrior96; 08-04-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Banned

To reach 450 you will need to turn that thing pretty tight. I would say it is possible with some good rods pistons, and a solid roller but then it starts losing some streetability.
Port the stock heads get a good cam and put a bottle on it. Then you can have 500rwhp.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

You are goin to do some work, and sacrifice the Streetablilty of the Car...one of the reasons why I went big-cube LSX.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

96capricemgr said many perfect comments by the way.
Anyway, I really doubt getting 450 HP with the stock buttom end even if you port the heads and get a good cam, however, these mods with a shot will get you more than 450 hp in the back yard.
My advice is simply like almost everyone said here, get your stock heads ported by a pro, port the intake to accept 54-58 mm and have it to match the ported heads, get better injectors/fuel pump, some long tube headers and some bolt ons and you'll have around 400 rwhp with the stock bottom end.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My goal is 420+rwhp and 120+ mph traps on the stock bottom end in a full weight car. Have you ever driven a cammed car before? Doing a h/c swap doesn't simply give you more power everywhere and drive like stock, everything is a comprimise on a street car.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

just save some $1500 and get yourself some of this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...link:middle:us

With porting ur heads your dream will come true .
Old 08-04-2007, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mybluez28echoes
just save some $1500 and get yourself some of this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...link:middle:us

I really hope that no one on here is stupid enought to buy a shortblock off ebay...
Old 08-04-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mybluez28echoes

whatcha going to do with a Gen 1 SBC? Heads and other items from your LT1 car just aren't going to bolt on that

Quick Reply: 450 hp natual/stock internals is it possible???