General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alternator installation issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator installation issues.

While I am a fairly experienced person in terms of automobiles I ended up doing rod bolts on my car (98 TA) this weekend. Which in turn required me taking off the alternator in order to get the motor mount bolts. Fast forward to this morning. After completeing the install I am having terrible difficulty getting the alternator back in. It seems that the plastic sheild on the rear of it that directs airflow is interfering with everything down there upon attempted reinstallation. It either hits on the alternatopr bracket itself or my power steering lines. I know it came out, so is there an obvious trick I am missing to this? Or am I nuts and making something very simple into a major project? Feedback appreciated.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Just did an alternator swap this weekend, and sounds like you are having the same problem as I was experiencing. I could get the bottom of the alternator to line up with the bottom bracket holes, but couldnt rotate the thing to line up with the other 2 bracket holes. I took it off and tried to stick the bolt in only to find out that when I removed the alt. I had also shifted the bracket so the alt was hitting on the top side of the bracket instead of rotating into place. Make sure you can put your the 2 long bolts in all the way and can get it to thread. If not, you may have a bracket alignment problem. Nothing a prybar or a BFH cant fix. Hope this helps.......
Old 08-05-2007, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

I actually ended up completely unbolting the bracket. Then seating the alternator in it, and then bolting all of it back onto the motor. Tedious but space was at a premium.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

So I'm guessing it all worked out in the end?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

yes, yes it did. I like to follow up on my problems and post them. So others who have the same problem and search findout what I did to complete the task.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, one more bolt pulls the entire bracket and idler pulley assembly. that makes it much easier to at least have that loose.