12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

SLP CAI vs. FRA

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP CAI vs. FRA

Ok I've done the FRA mod and I've been reading about the difference in power versus the SLP CAI, K&N FIPK, and FTRA. Have any of you actually checked the difference? I saw the thread about the difference between the FIPK and SLP, but I was wondering what the difference in these would be compared to the FRA mod. I realize probably the only difference is the metal shroud keeps the air cooler and directs its flow better, but how much of a rwhp difference? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

This is the only info I could ever find on it. FTRA
Personally I think you should spend the money on whatever is the cheapest.

Travis
Old 08-06-2007, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

fra K&N filter and a lid.......proven combination many times.....
Old 08-06-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Check my sig

It works great

PS a LID IS A LID. it's just if you want a clear lid or black lid your choose
IF you have a ram air a lid works better then FIPK
Old 08-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I know there have been TONS of threads on which lid is better lol, and someone actually supplied a magazine article once comparing all the popular brands and the SLP was supposedly the lid that produced the most gain. I was just wondering if anybody had noticed enough difference between the FRA mod (which I have done w/ a K&N filter) and one of the SLP or FTRA systems? The only difference is the metal shroud, and I was just curious if it really made a difference. Appreciate the replies too BTW.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

I'll tried searching if any one has done some testing on the metal shroud or plastic but I haven't found anything. Some say the metal gets 2 hot you don’t see any gains, some say the metal is better then plastic in cold weather, plastic is better then metal when hot, but it's just opinions no tests to back up any difference.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Well I appreciate the help man. Which ram air kit do you have BTW? SLP or Fast Toys? I have a buddy that would sell me his SLP CAI kit cheap, but if there's really no difference, I don't see the need. I did a pretty good/neat job w/ the free ram air mod, so I'm with the way it looks, and I def noticed a difference in performance as well.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

I have the SLP CAI on my T/A, it doesn't stick down as far as the FTRA kit does. There is an adapter/shroud you can get for the SLP CAI to make it stick down more to scoop air sooner. I think Fast Toys makes it. Anyway, I have the shroud kit, I've just never bothered to put it on.

Back in the day, I seem to recall someone doing a test with the SLP CAI and it didn't really become effective until about 80mph as a ram air. With the adapter to extend it, the SLP unit should be more effective at lower speed.

BTW - the K&N isn't really worth any hp, a good clean paper air filter will give you the same gain.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i went with SLPs part because id rather not block my radiator or chance sucking up water though FTRA does have a blocking plate.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
I have the SLP CAI on my T/A, it doesn't stick down as far as the FTRA kit does. There is an adapter/shroud you can get for the SLP CAI to make it stick down more to scoop air sooner. I think Fast Toys makes it. Anyway, I have the shroud kit, I've just never bothered to put it on.

Back in the day, I seem to recall someone doing a test with the SLP CAI and it didn't really become effective until about 80mph as a ram air. With the adapter to extend it, the SLP unit should be more effective at lower speed.

BTW - the K&N isn't really worth any hp, a good clean paper air filter will give you the same gain.
Yeah I've discovered, since joining this forum, that a good paper filter will give you the same gain, but the K&N was brand new and on the car when I bought it a few months ago, so I didn't have to buy it myself. So do you think the gain in hp/tq by going w/ an SLP or Fast Toys ram air kit over my current FRA mod would be worth be worth the extra money. I haven't had any issues so far w/ the FRA mod clogging my air filter up or anything, so that doesn't really worry me, but I'm curious as to what the difference in power of a ram air kit vs. the FRA is.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i went with SLPs part because id rather not block my radiator or chance sucking up water though FTRA does have a blocking plate.
Yes the blocking shroud does seem to sound like a good idea, but like I said in my original post, my buddy has the SLP kit which he will sell me pretty cheap.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i have a ftra and honestly i dont think i really noticed much of a difference...but then again i did it at the same time i did my ls6 intake. One day i may take it off to see if i feel a difference, by the way i bought mine used without a blocking plate but i haven't had any issues with water or anything