Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine, what first?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default New engine, what first?

I installed new pistons, balanced rotating assembly, cam, heads, injectors, lifters & oil pump. Initial IFR & other injector control tables from others 42lb reults are already in the VCM. I need to break-in the rings, perform a CASE relearn, and work on the idle. Idle was basically perfect with the old setup, which included a 228/228 114 LSA cam. The new cam is a 227/235 110+2.

So what order do I do things to minimize problems? I don't want to spend a lot of time on idle initially and lose the hone on the bores before the rings are set. How soon do I need to do the CASE learn?

I don't have quite everything buttoned up yet, but with the driveline installed, it won't hold an idle. I need to add fuel and if I let off the gas the engine dies immediately.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IFR is probably the most critical with a new engine, because you don't want to add too much fuel on the initial startup and break in. Otherwise you will wash the cylinders out. Try adding some airflow to the Desired Airflow (Park), Startup Airflow and Startup Friction Airflow tables. This should help. You probably will need to adjust the TB set screw and reset the TPS as well.