Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To cam now or later?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default To cam now or later?

Ok, I'm going to cam my car and have made all of the proper bolt ons that should be on a car before a cam swap. Here's the thing, by the time November or so rolls around I'll have the extra money saved up for the cam. I already have the parts together now for a true dual setup with magnaflow 4x9's and 3" mandrel piping. I've got a week off of work coming up in a few weeks when myself and some friends will be doing the install and custom work on the true duals. My question is, since i've already got a week off from work, and the availability of friends who are a little more experienced in internal engine work than I do, should I just get the cam kit now and do the install while the car is off the road for the exhaust. The only problem is I don't have the money out front for the cam kit. I would use my credit card and be able to pay it off in a couple of months, but I don't like to use my credit card with money I don't have at the time. So should I just buy the kit and do the install while I have the resources? Or save up the money and buy it outright and do it later? All of the bolt ons and exhaust setup have been done with the idea of this car being cam only with a small shot of nitrous.

Here's a list of common answers to common questions I see when someone posts about a cam.

-It will be the MS4 kit from texas speed
-Car is not a daily driver, but driven whenever I can cause I have fun driving it
-I have a stall converter, LS6 intake, and will be putting on long tubes with true duals and a ported TB with the cam
-I already have HPtuners with LC-1 wideband for tuning purposes to get the car streetable and good a/f before I get the time to get to a dyno
Old 08-04-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go for it, as long as youll be able to pay it off soon. this way you would have experienced help and you could tune the cam and headers now.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
The only problem is I don't have the money out front for the cam kit. I would use my credit card and be able to pay it off in a couple of months, but I don't like to use my credit card with money I don't have at the time.
My advice and the best advice i try to follow myself, don't spend money you don't have. Debt isn't the place to be and always looks harmless for just that "Oh, just this one time" occasion.

I have enough money for my H/C swap but i'm not doing it 'till Xmas. Still have plenty of research to do, no hurry. Take your time and make it count.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw a cam in there!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

If I'm not mistaken, the MS4 requires flycutting on a stock setup...
Old 08-05-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
If I'm not mistaken, the MS4 requires flycutting on a stock setup...
No need to fly cut. I'm still not sure on the LSA i'm getting, but it will be high enough I shouldn't have to worry about it. Trust me I've been researching cams on here for about 3 months now. I've seen both sides of the road, from "big cams are dyno queens" to "go big or go home" cam ideas. It seems that for my setup and what I want, the MS4 would be the best. The low end is greatly increased over the MS3.