New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what ACTUALLY happens when your factory 10 bolt breaks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what ACTUALLY happens when your factory 10 bolt breaks?

I hear talk all the time like "Oh no, the terrible 10", "Every factory 10 bolt is on borrowed time", and "The 10 bolt was GMs cheapest shortcut"..... ok, why?

"Well the 10 bolt is just plain too small." ---------- well ok, but that still doesn't explain anything. I've been told to simply go bigger, still doesn't help me understand. I'd like to know what exactly goes on in the axle when it breaks. Why does it break? What's actually happening? And why is bigger better? I'm not denying that it isn't, i just want to know what all is happening and why we are all on borrowed time from a factory LS1.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I chipped the pinion in mine and it started to wedge itself .. I turned a corner and the rear wanted to lock up on pavement once the car straightened out it was fine until I turned into my gravel drive where it locked up agian and sent me straight towards my front porch..
All in all its just not strong enough for anything but daily driving.. I took my old blazer out one time on some trails and destroyed that rearend to.. 10 bolts are just weak all round.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 217zenki
10 bolts are just weak all round.
unless its an 8.5, but unfortunately, those dont come on ls1's
Old 08-04-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The gears themselves are just too small to handle the load placed on them. they simply can't take the shock form launching and the overall load on them when you start getting the power down to the ground. What breaks.. well everything from a tooth chip, to shearing teeth off the pinion gears, to cracking the whole carrier in half happens when they fail.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

The differential can break also. The axles themselves don't break too often though.

smaller=weaker
Old 08-05-2007, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything in it is too *****. The axles are too small, the ring and pinion gears are too puny, and the posi is a joke as well.

I exploded my posi on the 1-2 shift at the track on Nitto DRs. Some people shear teeth off the ring and pinion gears, others snap axles. It's all up in the air on what will actually happen to yours.