Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Order of modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Order of modifications

I.. like most every other members on this board really enjoy doing their first mods, when I bought my 99 SS completely stock about a month and a half ago I put on a magnaflow catback and just recently an slp lid. As far as performance goes I'm looking to make some good gains over the next couple years, In other words I want to build this car up in a smart way, not throwing some heads and a cam on, some drag tires and then watch the parts fly off.

I'm seeking some advice on what parts to pursue and in which order to do them. I want to say my goal is to be pushing a good 400hp or a bit more when I'm finished, a car that can be daily driven in the summer months and perhaps taken to the track once or twice a year. What do you guys think would be some wise choices for my next modifications? I'm aiming to have my complete exhaust (headers,sims, y-pipe) done by the end of august. Sub frame connectors, tuning (programmers), shocks/springs, rear end etc etc are things I'm looking at closely. If I'm going to do any engine work involving heads and a cam then I would imagine it's smarter to complete those areas first and then concentrate on some actual power.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Kyler, I'll try to give a few ideas.

First off you will get many differing opinions from many different perspectives, none of which is ever going to be totally right or totally wrong.

IMO, sounds like you are taking a very smart approach. Exhaust, lid, headers, etc (bolt-ons).

I personally like your approach of suspension work next. Some people would agree drivetrain next. In my case I've stayed with the 10-Bolt, but your approach might be smarter in the long run.

From there, it is all up to you on Internals. You can easily hit 400rwhp these days with bolt-ons and cam, and maintain great streetability. From an economical standpoint, doing Heads and Cam simultaneously has a lot of advantages.

Can you make 400hp cam only and be happy..sure..But power is additive and it is hard to stop. It just depends on your budget, need for speed, and the realization that in car modification, the law of diminishing returns will sooner or later apply.

I think you are on the right track. I've done it both ways, and while I have enjoyed experimenting with different cams, heads, headers, and exhaust, I think planning it out and doing it right from the start is the most satisfying in the end.

Hope that helps. Perhaps you'll get some differing ideas that will cover something I have missed.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes..WeathermanShawn.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Well thanks for your info man, I appreciate it. I have all winter to research and purchase parts but for right now she's just gotta be louder, damn 5.0 mustangs around town shouldn't make more noise then an LS1.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KylerCavers
Well thanks for your info man, I appreciate it. I have all winter to research and purchase parts but for right now she's just gotta be louder, damn 5.0 mustangs around town shouldn't make more noise then an LS1.

One of the best bang for the buck mods you can do to an ls1 would be long tube headers. Get a y pipe, and use your magnaflow and it will sound alot better. Good luck.
Chris