Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer Puller

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Harmonic Balancer Puller

Am I the only one that destroyed a puller by doing it the way in the picture in ls1howto.com for the heads/cam swap? It bent the threaded rod pretty bad. I went back up to advance and got another one and did the same thing. SO i went back up and got another one and switched it so it was a short as possible and the bitch came right off. Just thought I'd try and save a few people a trip to the parts store
Old 08-05-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Posi-Lock. It won't bend. Rated at 17 tons.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not sure what that is. The one I used was an AmPro one. The pulley is off now, I was just pissed I had to drive up to the parts store twice.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you bent the rod in two different pullers you were doing something wrong. The pulley is held on by an interference fit so it doesn't take the effort needed to bend a puller rod to remove the pulley. The Posi-Lock is the best puller made. You won't find one at any auto parts store as a rental. If you can bend the puller rod on a Posi-Lock you should also be able to pull the pulley off of the crank with your bare hands. I'm surprised the parts store gave you a second one to ruin after you bent the first one. Then they gave you a third one after you destroyed the second one. You must have some compromising pictures of the owner of that store.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

I did it the exact way that it is pictured in ls1howto.com. I then switched it so that the jaws were smaller instead of so long. It came off with ease with it switched around. It's advance auto parts, AmPro has a lifetime warranty, so when it breaks, you bring it back. Nothing to it, no quesitons asked. There really isn't anything to do wrong. There was just too much pressure on a weak rod and the weakest part gave.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer Puller