Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat gauge????? Please advise!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat gauge????? Please advise!

Okay so I allready know the gauge in my 2000ss is basicaly a dummy gauge. I've got a 160 stat, but my factory gauge still reads right under 210. Can I put a electric auto meter gauge in my car, and if so will it read the right temp just bolting it up? Anybody did this? My car has been programmed, so that is not it. I have a manual fan switch and can leave it on for a hour and the factory gauge will not budge. Need help so I can see how cool the car is actually running.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

I am not 100% sure, but I believe I read somewhere that it is the gauge that is the dummy part, not the actual sensor, so yea I think if you hooked up an autometer gauge it would work fine.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah that gauge is just a "everything is normal" gauge. If you actually do start to overheat, it'll let you know. If you are using HPTuners, you can just do data logs and look at the coolant temp maps.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:54 PM
High on diesel fumes

The factory gauge will read the same temp from 181 or so to about 221. A 160* stat will start to open at 160*, and will reach full open at about 180* or so.

When I had my 160* in my truck with e-fans it would idle around 190-195 or so. It wouldn't cool down unless I was cruising on the freeway for awhile, then I'd see the temps drop as low as about 179* depending on the outside temp. Your situation sounds normal to me, especially during the summer in GA.

As stated above, you can get a standalone gauge if you want, just run the coolant temp sensor off the unused hole at the rear of the passenger side head. Or, you can use a scan tool or scan gauge to read the temp directly from the PCM.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about running a electric gauge? Anybody know anything or done it on these cars before? I guess what I should be asking is will it work?

Thunder 550 my car runs the same during the winter. Dosen't matter the temp. When it gets to 210, it stays regardless on how hot or cold outside.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Instead of getting a seperate engine temp gauge I'd spend a more and get an Interceptor gauge instead. it reads everything right off the computer. My buddy has one and it works well and you can monitor all kinds of sensors.

https://www.flp2win.com/store/produc...roducts_id=385

Only thing that kind of sucks is you will have a cable plugged into the OBDII port whenever you are using it but considering it reads a bunch of things it can be useful for those that don't want to or don't have a laptop for such software packages as HPT or EFT live.