Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual electric cutouts??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dual electric cutouts??

Pardon the post, but search is pretty broken, and I can't seem to find exactly what I need to know.

I currently have LT headers with a catted y + borla, and while I like it a lot, at times I want to be WAY more obnoxious while driving (I'm still young, you know you did it too )

I have been contemplating getting dual electric cutouts for after the headers but I had a couple questions. Does it reduce clearance significantly? I'm already lowered with the pro kit. Also, in the places that it reduces clearance, does that hang any lower than the really low y pipe section by the driver side floor board?

Lastly, in terms in brands, what's the general consensus for the most reliable cutout? I'm not looking to save 50 dollars on a cheaper one only to replace it in 6 months.

Thanks guys.

-Ryan
Old 08-05-2007, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

I used 2 DMH E-cutouts behind the headers. Easy install and no problems.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

I'm looking at doing the same thing, but I'm interested in keeping the cats for when I want the thing to be quiet.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

This is my car w/ dual cutouts (not electric) on a TSP 3" ORY and a 2" lowering kit... as you can see
Old 08-05-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

any reason you couldn't have moved that cutout down stream a little more for more clearance? Or is there even less room there?
Old 08-05-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vrbas

This is my car w/ dual cutouts (not electric) on a TSP 3" ORY and a 2" lowering kit... as you can see
i would hate for you to hit a dog or cat..... you would drag that damn thing for miles
Old 08-06-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

If i moved it down anymore, it would be on the bend and that would definitely be a doosy for a cutout.

As far as draggin' a dog or a cat down the road, not quite yet. But i DID get stuck on a railroad track crossing, finally pulled lose and it yanked the driver side header off the engine a bit, had to get that fixed.

It was about that time i realized i was going to need to invest in some new stock springs. Now i have over HALF a can of clearance
Old 08-06-2007, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

damn Vrbas i hope you have some nice smooth roads around where you live!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a dual electric cutout and cat y-pipe and I loved it. Clearance was very good, I didn't scrape on anything. It's all about placement of the parts to get the most clearance. The driver's side cat was the lowest point. I managed to tuck the cutouts and turndowns up very well. Here are a couple pics.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah Ferocity definitely put me to shame
Old 08-06-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

SO in general is dual louder than one cutout?
Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

In general yes, you also get a different "tone" (not that you have an actual TONE open engine, it's just loud) so it sounds a little different.

JUST KNOW, dual cutouts is loud as ***** (and ***** are loud). My ears ring after i get out of the car every time and i have to blast my radio to hear it... but i'm young so it's my excuse for being obnoxious.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet I'm ording right now, I already have one QTP so why the hell not right?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

My y-pipe was basically the same as open headers, so yes it's loud. But it did not bother me, and boy did it turn heads!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryanfx
Pardon the post, but search is pretty broken, and I can't seem to find exactly what I need to know.

I currently have LT headers with a catted y + borla, and while I like it a lot, at times I want to be WAY more obnoxious while driving (I'm still young, you know you did it too )

I have been contemplating getting dual electric cutouts for after the headers but I had a couple questions. Does it reduce clearance significantly? I'm already lowered with the pro kit. Also, in the places that it reduces clearance, does that hang any lower than the really low y pipe section by the driver side floor board?

Lastly, in terms in brands, what's the general consensus for the most reliable cutout? I'm not looking to save 50 dollars on a cheaper one only to replace it in 6 months.

Thanks guys.

-Ryan
The only reason anyone should get cutouts is to bypass your cats. As far as your catted Y pipe goes you will want to get a custom Y pipe. You may want to talk to Ferocity to see were he got his made or get some pointers. By the way Ferocity that is a clean set up right there!! Also i was trying to buy your car but i couldnt get the money before you sold it lol
Old 08-06-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ws6nick
Sweet I'm ording right now, I already have one QTP so why the hell not right?

From my experience, the drivers side is going to be your lowest point. So just be careful when you take it to the shop, let them know that clearance will be an issue and ask if there is anything they can do
Old 08-06-2007, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

I just got my DUAL DMH E- cutouts I caNT WAIT TO PUT THEM IN i HOPE ITS CRAZY LOUD <LIKE THAT
Old 08-06-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Prerun4fun13
The only reason anyone should get cutouts is to bypass your cats. As far as your catted Y pipe goes you will want to get a custom Y pipe. You may want to talk to Ferocity to see were he got his made or get some pointers. By the way Ferocity that is a clean set up right there!! Also i was trying to buy your car but i couldnt get the money before you sold it lol
Really? Hmm, well I sold it to some guy in south sac, hopefully the car is still in one piece. I actually took that y-pipe setup off and sold it seperately to some guy in the east bay. The car was pretty much stock when I sold it. I miss here so much!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just a headsup, dual cutouts' you loose so much backpressure that you run slower, loud as all fkk, but your going slower....ask Trmin8r....he had 2 cutouts open and was getting beat by a corvette, closed them up and started pulling on the vette. just a headsup
Old 08-07-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was worried about that too. But with the Flowmaster catback I had, the cutouts provided no extra torque, but a whole crapload of upper end horsepower. It was an astonishing gain to say the least. I guess everyone has differing experiences.