Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

I'm building an LSX for school

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 03:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm building an LSX for school

I need some help guys. This coming school year I am going to be taking auto mechanics at school, and for the first quarter we have to build/re-build an engine.

Well, I figure now is the best time to start moving my project along and to do that I am going to build an LSX motor. And when i say "LSX" i don't mean an LS1 or LS2. I'm startin out with the new LSX block from GM.

My plans for the engine are to build a low-compression, fuel-injected engine that i will probably end up throwing a ProCharger on for my 1970 Chevelle. I would like to get at least 650-700 horses out of it, which i don't think should be too much of a problem. This will be mostly a street car, with the occasional trip to the drag strip.

Now here's where i need the help. I know i want to build either a 427 or a 454, but i'm not sure which. Is there something i'm not going to get in a 427 that i would get in a 454, is a 427 going to be slightly cheaper... I don't know, so i'm just tryin to see if there is any advantages to one - besides the obvious 27 cu. inches.

I need opinions on what kind of internals, heads, intake, and all that sort of stuff to use.

Some questions:

Block - what bore size?
Crank - Forged or billet? size? Eagle? Scat? Someone else?
H-beam or I-beam pistons? What size? Manufacturer?
Heads - AFR, GM, etc...? again, what size?
Camshaft - COMP, Lunati, etc. Do i need a special "blower" cam? what size?
Intake - LS1, LS2, LS7, FAST, sheetmetal??????? which one?
oil pan - from an F-body? CTS-V? Truck? Custom?
headers - Hooker, Bassani, Hedman, Pacesetter??? Size?
And I know there are a lot more things that go into that, but i'm too tired right now to come up with more things. Basically, i'm looking for EVERYTHING that i need for the engine to start up when the time comes. I'm not looking to build a cheap engine - i know this will be pretty expensive, but i'm not looking to cheap out, because i tend to believe in the "you get what you pay for" attitude, and i don't want my engine blowing up on my while i'm cruising. That said if i can safely get away with using a slightly cheaper product than everything that is absolutely top end, then i might look into that.

I know there are a lot of questions in here, and some of them are probably stupid, but i'm a newbie when it comes to building an engine. I've tried doing some research, but when it comes down to the exact details of things there's so many millions (at least it seems like it) of options from which to choose, i get lost and my head starts to hurt ... so any advice is appreciated . I know i will probably be learning some of this stuff in class, but i'd just like to get an idea beforehand so i will have a good idea of stuff i will be needing to order. I have access to what was formerly Sallee Chevrolet, in milton-freewater, oregon. so i know they are a proven race engine shop and can provide information, so that is always an option for me too. Right now i plan on buying the LSX block from them, since they are local to me.

I'm sure i'm forgetting stuff, so if you need other details, or if you have other questions, please ask. I will probably end up with more questions myself, so please bear with me.

Thanks in advance for the information, opinions, and input. (I also posted this over at pro-touring.com)

Aaron
Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Resident

sheetmetal for sure-looks like money is not a issue here -so get good stuff to start off with-and u wont look back-
heads-well l92 will go the distance-but from the info i have seen u can't really go past of a set of etp's and good light-weight valve train.

-do a search on the best rods out their-their was a big poll and also best pistion -

everything u need to know is on here-so search each item carefully-because it seems u don't mind paying-so that said u should not mind researching what's going to cost and what is the best for your appilcation-

theirs heaps of shops that advertise here-theirs cam guys-engine guys-its endless-

take time when searching-i was the same but i have come to terms that i am in know hurry -

Last edited by njc.corp; 08-06-2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

well i am in a LITTLE bit of a hurry. sort of. once school starts i've gotta be able to keep the engine progressing, not waiting til the end of the quarter to suddenly throw everything together.

thanks for the info though, i forgot to do a search for best piston and rod, etc. and no, i have no problem trying to research stuff. i want to know as much about this stuff as i can, but since i haven't had any training/education on what some of this stuff means or what it does performance-wise, i figured i'd get an idea from you guys and then start learning. but stuff like dish size on the piston, stroke length, rod length, all the real important stuff i don't understand. but hopefully that will come with time.

but like i said, if i can SAFELY get away with a slightly cheaper part than top end, i might go that route. so, money is kind of a problem, but i don't want to skimp so i am willing to pay for what i need.

thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing you need to do is set up a realistic budget.
The biggest reason for this is that your choices are limited by your money. You say you want 650-700 hp. Is that rwhp or bhp?? Either way, with a procharger, either is obtainable.

For 650-700 BHP, I would go with the 427(actually I would go this way for either), L-92 heads, L76 intake, custom blower cam,and a D1 procharger. Go with a Callies Compstar crank and rods and Diamond pistons. Size your piston dish to achieve a ~9.5 compression ratio and have fun. Should make great power, be relatively inexpensive and be dead nuts reliable.(As far as FI goes!!)
Old 08-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
The first thing you need to do is set up a realistic budget.
The biggest reason for this is that your choices are limited by your money.
well like i said, i know it's not going to be a cheap motor - i was kind of guessing somewhere in the 10-12k range? but with all the different parts and stuff out there and the differing prices i wasn't sure. but i'm thinking somewhere in that range. if it goes over a little, that's fine, if i stay under that, awesome.

thanks for the info though. i will start looking into some of that stuff.

(what's the difference between brake horsepower and rear wheel horsepower?)

i would still like a little more info on the other things for the engine, like rings, rockers, oil pickup, oil pan, etc.

thanks again
Old 08-06-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Brake HP is measured at the flywheel, and I will let you guess where RWHP is measured RWHP is always going to be lower, because it takes into account losses from turing the transmission, DS, Rear-End, wheels etc.

If you are talking about 10-12K for the physical engine part of it, that is very do-able. If you are talking about that for the whole deal, not so much.

As far as rings, when you call Diamond(or Wiseco, or Ross, or whoever) tell them what your intended usage is and tell them to send you the appropriate rings for your application. Bearings, call SDPC or another sponsor and tell them you want the best Clevite bearings that have.

Remember, you will have to have a fuel system to support all of this. A fuel system that will support that much HP is not going to be cheap. I would figure a $2K bill for that portion.

Believe me, this will not be a cheap, or inexpensive build.

You have the right idea though, build it once and build it right
Old 08-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

ok, i just assumed brake horsepower was measured at the brakes... i knew that the rwhp would be lower due to the loss through the tranny and everything though.

and yeah, i'm talking 10-12 for the physical engine. i know the procharger is not going to fit inside that price range, but maybe by the time the car is ready to drive i will have the extra funds for the supercharger. just figured i'd build it low compression now for the supercharger later

as for the fuel system that is down the road still. probably looking at something like a rick's hot rod tank, and i dunno, maybe some sort of aeromotive fuel system. i'll have plenty of questions when it comes to that too, but not for a while.

thanks for the info bane.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:04 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Why an LSX block if you're only gonna make 600 or so? You could save a grand or so and just use a 6.0L iron block for 402ci, then some nice LS6 heads or L92's I guess. With a Procharger, 700hp should be pretty easy and leave some money for a nice paintjob or some nice wheels.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

If you goal is only 600-700 hp then there is no need for the LSX block if you are putting a Procharger on it. A stock LS1/6 will hold that power level. To be safe get a 6.0l truck block. LSX shouldn't be needed unless you want 800-1000+ hp. Just trying to help your budget.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by M3 Muscle
If you goal is only 600-700 hp then there is no need for the LSX block if you are putting a Procharger on it. A stock LS1/6 will hold that power level. To be safe get a 6.0l truck block. LSX shouldn't be needed unless you want 800-1000+ hp. Just trying to help your budget.

thats what i thought-heavy boost or n20 imo is for the lsx-the block itself will go the distance

gm rated at what 2000+ or 2500hp max-
Old 08-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

sorry, but i've got my heart set on an lsx. call me stupid, retarded, or whatever, but i wanna build an lsx. thanks for tryin to help me save some money though, i appreciate it.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

I feel the same way....LSX is the way to go for long-term reliability and future growth. I'm building a 454 LSX right now.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Lsx?

Hey guy,Im leaning towards an LSX block myself,to drop in my 35th LE #1989 but i dont see a space in the front of the lsx block for the cam sensor or the oil pressor sensor in the rear! is this block set up like the LS2 ,with the cam sensor in the rear,and if so,I guess ide have to get an adapter wireing harness to convert.And i didntt hear you asking any quesrions on this subject,So you might want to do some research as i am before purchasing an LSX to at least know what typ nwireing harness youll need ,LS-LS??? BARNAT
Old 08-07-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

i am pretty sure the ls and ls2 family stuff fit's on it-

timing case+sensors from ls2 etc etc

no big deal about the wiring-from the time i have been on here i have seen wiring loom harness to stan alone one's

theirs heaps of help at your fingertips
Old 08-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Theres an awsome article in this months High Performance Pontiacs about the LSX you all should check up on. It gives cool details and tells tips on putting one together.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PaulC
Theres an awsome article in this months High Performance Pontiacs about the LSX you all should check up on. It gives cool details and tells tips on putting one together.

i'll have to see if i can find one of those.

and about the cam sensor and stuff, that's why i'm asking questions, looking for other ideas. i'm not totally sure, so it's stuff like that that gives me more things to look up.

thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 01:27 AM
11 Second Club

I have a 454 LSX

4.200 Bore X 4.100 Stroke.

Callies Compstar Crank
JE Forged Dished Pistons
Total Seal Rings
Ported L92 74CC Heads
STS Turbo 14PSI.

On the street I run 5PSI tuning it for high boost now. Just had to get the right cam in there.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like an interesting build. I'll be building a a Gen I 350 or 400 in my auto class but what I'd really like to know is where the hell you came up with $12,000 if you're still in school?? either way, keep us posted and good luck with the project.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DBL_TKE
Sounds like an interesting build. I'll be building a a Gen I 350 or 400 in my auto class but what I'd really like to know is where the hell you came up with $12,000 if you're still in school?? either way, keep us posted and good luck with the project.
i don't have $12,000 dollars. i'm just guessing that's how much it is going to cost and my dad is going to be helping me out with buying stuff. i've been working my *** off this summer though to help raise money for it, and i will be paying him back for it. and i have a corvette that i have to paint, then sell it and that money will go towards the engine/car too.

Sorry it's been a long time since i've posted. i'm working as a wildland firefighter this summer so i've been gone quite a bit.

If anyone has any other ideas for anything i'd appreciate it.
thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Flash99
I have a 454 LSX

4.200 Bore X 4.100 Stroke.

Callies Compstar Crank
JE Forged Dished Pistons
Total Seal Rings
Ported L92 74CC Heads
STS Turbo 14PSI.

On the street I run 5PSI tuning it for high boost now. Just had to get the right cam in there.
What size turbo are you running on this sts kit?

Don't plan on keeping heads gaskets around for long

Quick Reply: I'm building an LSX for school