Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals...2 quick questions

Old 08-06-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default true duals...2 quick questions

I am building my 2.5" true dual system tomorrow for my Z28, but.....

we are using Magnaflow spun cats right off the header, then bending the pipes to meet into an H pipe just behind the start of the driveshaft, into a pipe over each side of the axle, into powersticks, finally ending with Corsa tips.

Question 1: can I remove the black brace that goes across the driveshaft tunnel? are there any ill effects of this....like squeaks, rattles, body flex?

Question 2: do I need to wrap the fuel lines with something or build a thin heat shield along the driver's side? the pipe will be about 2.5" away from the lines at all points.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

1. yes it can be removed with no known effects.

2. I have sheilded wrapped those lines before, but 2.5 inches is pretty good. If its the cat at 2.5 I would, if its aluminized pipe behind the cat I wouldnt. 1 inch on pipe yes.

I cut the collector shorter on most headers, otherwise the bend is to close to get under the body brace on the drivers side. On a side note....ditch the cats and program them out if your municipalty allows.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

1. Yes, I've had to remove this when installing exhaust on several cars.

2. Have you flipped the fuel lines? If not just pull the fuel lines out of the brackets, flip the brackets over, and tighten them back down.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really wanted to lose the cats....however, my buddy's shop is building the system for FREE...no labor, no materials cost, other than the mufflers and cats. They wouldn't touch it without cats though. His shop is trying to get a reputation of doing custom exhaust work, so they want to get the word out and have a rolling example out at cruise nights and such...so I'm the test mule.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

where is that shop, what town? Maybe I could make the drive, i see you from central IL. Thats amazing, hes not even charging you for the pipes or anything. Nice find!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would think about mounting the cats a little farther back from the collectors. I have heard that the cats being that close to the collectors can burn them out from being to hot. Just something to think about, also you might want to think about hollowing your cat out... It will still have the appearance of smog legal
Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cats are mounted so close to the collectors because they need heat to work correctly.

Search this Thread