LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water in exhaust - help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water in exhaust - help

Just got the motor back in my car after about a year. Initial start up, fired right up, loped like crazy and after a few seconds idled on it's own. Well we let it run for several minutes and shut it off, finished hooking everything up and put the exhaust back (was just straight headers) and crunk it back up and it wouldn't hardly idle, but would rev pretty smooth. Well took it for a drive, put about 6 miles or so on it and then cut it off for a while and then went to take the cutouts off the exhaust to see if that's why it wouldn't idle, and when i took the cap off, some water came out, not a whole, lot, but enough that i'm pretty sure it wasn't just condensation. But i crunk it up and revved it and no more came out, it don't steam or anything, but still woulnd't idle right away, but then it did. Well then went for another drive, tryin to start off it would just stumble a lot (which i'm still thinking has a bit to do with tuning for the cam and stuff) and then as the revs got up a lil' more it would do fine, drive down the road with no problems. So it seems as when it's not running, it's leaking water down into the exhaust and when it's running it's burning it fast enough to tell but no steam. Does this sound like a head gasket?? It has arp studs, i've heard u had to torque them 5 times and then retorque after a warm up and cooldown. But like i said, no steam, and runs fine when it gets up past about 1500 rpms, thanx in advance guys.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Launching!

check your coolant level if not condensation
Old 08-08-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Coolant was going down, however since last time i've been on here i've taken the head off, looks as if it was just a shitty head gasket, but i have took the head to a machine shop that does just cylinder heads to have them check for cracks and flatness, and then throwing it back together tonight, will update tomorrow, thanx.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im guessing condensation
Old 08-08-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Nope- read post above, by the way, just watched ur video and the ls1, that makes that LS1 look sorry. I've had a few run ins with the ls1's at my local 1/8th and i can make em look stupid, and i'm in a 4300lbs car.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Little update, took the head off, had it pressure checked, had a pinhole in the #7 exhaust port, may be able to be fixed.....maybe not.