Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will racegas affect my emissions test?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will racegas affect my emissions test?

I'm not sure if this is the right board to be posting this on but here goes...
I am running VP 103 unleaded racegas in the car right now. I just had the car tested and it failed the low speed part of the test. The high rpm 22-2800rpm was good and passed. The car has never failed before, so the only thing different from the past is higher mileage on the motor and racegas. I have new TR6's in and new wires and ALL my emissions junk is hooked up and the cat y pipe is in, so what do you guys think?
Thanks for the help,
Jeremy
Old 05-22-2003, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Will racegas affect my emissions test?

I would take off your blower belt and run 91 octane. The slow burn of the fuel is causing big HC numbers.

Also if you have access to LS1 edit set your idle to about 50 rpms less than the MAX allowed for your car.
Cheers,
Chris
Old 05-22-2003, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about putting a few bottles of that gas-antifreeze stuff in the tank... ...i read it is mostly pure alcohal and that it burns much cleaner than gasoline...???

I read that someone who originally failed the test did this and then passed...
Old 05-22-2003, 10:41 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah that's true about the alcohol and bumping up the idle speed. Also helps to run synthetic oil and reprogram your fans back to stock if you have them set to a lower temperature.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, my idle is set at 940 by Ed Wright. I have his tuning, I also had him set the fans to turn on at 170 but the car was damn near 230 when we were testing it, the fans were on but they are damn useless in a emissions booth. I like to get the car real hot when doing an emission test to lean things out. Thanks for all the help the car passed due to an "helpful" tester who called me back an hour later to get a passing certificate for an extra 25 under the table. There are still some cool people left in the world these days/ his exact words were"we have to keep these hot rods on the road"
J