Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ticking...

My first thought is exhaust leak... but would there be anything else to cause a tick?

I notice it more when i'm sitting still ideling... I can hear it mainly while sitting in the drivers seat with the window down coming from the driver side... I notice when i slowly press on the throttle the tick accelerates...

I pop the hood and try to listen for it but honestly can't hear it that much over the rest of the engine noise... I walk to the passenger side and really don't hear it too much... but if i stick my ear to the driver side wheel well I can hear it pretty well...

any ideas? does everyone else concurr with the exhaust leak theory?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can check for black residue on the exhaust parts. If that is not there, check your injectors, if they all are pulsing the same, then you may be in my current position of replacing the DAMN LIFTERS!!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you hear it from top part of the car (engine area), or more down low, near the ground or underneath?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I have that sound too. Think it is exhaust leak. Just turn the radio up!
Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To me an exhaust leak is more of a "tapping" sound..."ticking" sounds electrical. If you have headers look for a plug wire arcing.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:09 PM
uno
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the same sound forever lol I can only hear it if i'm in a drive through setting with a building to my left for it to Echo off of. I let some other ls1 guys hear it and theres does it too. So i dunno. I'm not too worried about it. One day when I'm better off financially and can afford to upgrade the cam and valvetrain hopefully it'll go away. Otherwise as long as it's not causing a problem it'll be alright.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it does sound like an exhaust leak to me
Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by uno
I've had the same sound forever lol I can only hear it if i'm in a drive through setting with a building to my left for it to Echo off of. I let some other ls1 guys hear it and theres does it too. So i dunno. I'm not too worried about it. One day when I'm better off financially and can afford to upgrade the cam and valvetrain hopefully it'll go away. Otherwise as long as it's not causing a problem it'll be alright.
EXACTLY!!!! That's when I hear it too... if i'm next to something for it to "Echo" off of...

per the other question... it's more towards the underside I would say... Like i said, i popped the hood and couldn't really hear it from up there...

I'm guessing then I don't have much to worry about if it's an exhaust leak? I mean driving it like that shouldn't hurt anything until i can afford to fix it right?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its been my experience, when you hear a ticking type of sound when in motion, mostly with a building/bridge or what-ever next to you, its too much timing.

If you've been tuned in anyway, handheld, dyno or what-not, that would be my suggestion.

But if you hearing it when idle, not in motion, its more likely an exhaust leak.
Try some band clamps to seal up the mating joints.

I'm trying to pin point a small tick type sound myself. For me, its definetly come from underneath the car, drivers side. I'd say around the drivers cat area. Trouble is, I cant get the car up in the air while its running, to try and find it! In my case, I bet $50, I have a lost keeper stuck down in there someplace. When we were changing valve springs over winter break, 2 keepers were dropped and not found during the project. I hate that. :-)
Old 08-08-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

well... i'm hoping after my LT and ORY install it'll fix the problem... i'm waiting on GMHTP to give me the go ahead though...