Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more KOOKY questions?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more KOOKY questions?!?

Alright, I'm getting KOOKS headers with 3"Y w/cat! Don't know whether I should get: 3/4, 7/8, or 3/4 stepped to 7/8? Should I put down $$ for ceramic coat or should stainess be cool enough?
I want a louder, faster, clean running, and long lasting daily driver!
Old 05-22-2003, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: more KOOKY questions?!?

I went with the 3/4 stepped to 7/8 and just the stainless steel I made the decision with the advice of my shop the guys at Eastside. You probably don't want to go just 7/8 unless you are gonna use alot of nitrous so the stepped is kinda in the middle and is supposed to make good power
Old 05-22-2003, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

When I talked to Kooks, Nick said that 1 3/4 is good for cars up to 500 RWHP. If you are making less then that, then going stepped can actually cause you to loose a little power.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you have the cash for the SS and coated then go that route. They will turn a gold/brown color after so many miles, uncoated. Aesthetically, it looks like you have spent some dollars when you pop the hood to show your friends your shiny headers.

304 SS is not a good conductor of heat when compared to mild steel, as you probably already know. So the benefit of coating is not as great for SS users. I would not hesitate in getting the SS and ceramic-coated headers.

How much of a benefit is the stepped header [NA]? My expectation is that it is one of the <5 hp/tq mods.

The real concern is how many headaches do you endure due to undercarriage and ground clearance with the 4 1-7/8 pipes vs the smaller ones…