Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutted cats

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gutted cats

I installed a pair of gutted cats tonight, though I read several posts that said it would sound like crap. Well I'm quite pleased with the sound. Inside the car it is just slightly louder than with, and out side it sounds pretty mean. I think people's main complaint comes from certain cat-backs with gutted cats. The hooker cat back sounds good without them.

I bought the set of from a guy in my local club, so I still have my stock ones if I want to put them back on.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Gutted cats

I too have the Hooker Cat Back with the gutted cats and a 2.5 in mandrel bent Y pipe to replace the restrictive stock y pipe. It sounds louder than before and aggresive especially at WOT.! Horsepower was definitly increased 8 hp or so. LTs can wait a little longer.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad you like your Hooker cat back with gutted cats.
I tried the gutted cats and had stock cat back,i really was not impressed. It sounded real Hollow. Now with gutted cats and this Borla the car sounds great. System is wide open with Dynomax bullet in the "I" pipe. I think stock exhaust sounds real nasty with gutted cats.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Are you running 02 sims also?
I'm going to be gutting my stock cats this weekend, not because I want to, but because one of mine has come apart on the inside is rattling like crazy. I'm not wanting to spend a lot if any money on the exhaust because it will just be wasted money as I will be installing headers soon and I can't install the headers until I get my pcm tuned as they are race headers (ie no emission connections).
Thanks
-Robert
Old 05-23-2003, 02:29 PM
Teching In

before i guttet my macs, i was told the sound would be annoying and raspy. I think it sounds great. idling sounds mean. at wot, it has a nice aggressive growl to it. just don't stand behind the car in the tech line, the fumes will knock you out.