Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks y-pipe with QTP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kooks y-pipe with QTP?

I am so tired of this QTP y-pipe, what can I replace it with? Kooks? Redoing my exhaust completely.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a kooks y pipe for sale in parts for sale
Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get a custom y-pipe made. If you have a QTP y-pipe now, you'll be disappointed after going to Kooks' y-pipe. Yes, it'll tuck better, but the Kooks y-pipe has no merge. The one side just dumps into the other. The QTP y-pipe has an excellent merge as it uses a Flowmaster merge. The result of switching to a Kooks y-pipe will be better ground clearance at the expense of performance and a raspier exhaust. Regardless of fitment, the QTP y-pipe WILL outperform the Kooks.

I just bought a Flowmaster merge as I'm getting a custom y-pipe made for my QTP's. The merge is incredible. I urge you to do the same.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

I suggest cutting off the drivers side leg and buying a U-bend from Summit and have a muffler shop cut what they need to from the U-bend and replace the original leg. I have cats', unlike your set-up, and simply bought a 3" 180* U-bend from Summit, eye-balled what I needed to make up for the difference on the original Y-pipe, took it to a muffler shop, and got it squared away. I did a little cutting on the floor crossmember above the drivers side collector, for the cat', and was very satisified with clearance. Considering that pipe likely flows better than any other 3" Y-pipe out there, and I only did a little cutting, I was happy with the fitment.

Good luck and don't give up.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

I really like the idea of stainless steel, but if I can find a muffler shop worth a damn here that might be an option. IF I decided to go Kooks, will it fit up to the QTP headers?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone know? Kooks y-pipe work with QTP rubbing my k-member headers.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Resident

Why do you want the Kooks y-pipe? Again, it's a horrible design. If you want a shelf y-pipe, get the ARH y-pipe. It has a merge and fits very well from reports. Neither are going to fit the headers perfectly because they weren't designed to run with QTP's. They'll require light modification I'm sure.

Again, consider making your own y-pipe. You can always buy a stainless Magnaflow merge and have it rigged out of stainless steel exhaust pipe. It'll probably be cheaper anyway and NOTHING will fit better.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, I will stick with QTP, you win. I like it, it just needs modified, I drags at a 100 mph.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Build #1
Ok, I will stick with QTP, you win. I like it, it just needs modified, I drags at a 100 mph.
Hey man, I'm just trying to save you some money and a headache By all means, if you want to do it, do it, but don't expect it to be easy and problem free...
Old 08-10-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

what is wrong with the qtp y pipe? i'm gonna get the qtp lt's and run the gmmg cat back and was going to get the qtp y as well, but now?? i don't know of any good shops i'd trust in the central mississippi area to fab me one....