Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam only moves 1/2" then stops

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam only moves 1/2" then stops

Trying to remove the cam. I'm using the JRP tool. I spun the cam multiple times in both directions before inserting the JRP tool, but when I start pulling it out it only moves about 1/2". I can fell the JRP tool touch a lifter as I insert it on the passenger side, but the tool does go all the way in which is what is supposed to happen(I thought) if all the lifters are in the raised position. I thought the JPR tool wasn't supposed to slide all the way in unless all the lifter were raised. Anyone have this problem or anyone with a suggestion would be appreciated. I'm thinking of trying a 5/16" metal rod instead of the JPR tool.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What year is the car? JPR I don't believe works on later motors. Also, after you spin the cam, take a pushrod and push back down on each lifter. You should hear it clunk against the cam. If one doesn't do this it is not staying up and you will know where it is. If its a rear one and the JPR tool isn't all the way in then that is part of the problem. However, you may need a magnet to hold up the one or two lifters that are not staying up in the lifter tray irregardless.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it out using a 5/16" solid rod I got at Home Depot. Anyone want to buy a JRP tool CHEAP and I'll pay the shipping just to get that thing outa here. Just joking, but now I wish I had purchased the solid 5/16" rods in the first place instead of paying a C note for the JPR tool. In all fairness the JPR tool has worked for me on some older vehicles. This is an 04 Silverado. Thanks Vettenuts for the suggestions. They were helpful especially the part about using the pushrods to verify whether or not the lifters were staying up or falling back down on their own. The lifter trays are mounted at about 45 degrees in the engine so as an experiment I tried holding the lifter trays straight up and down in my hand when I was doing a head swap. Almost all of the lifter stay in the plastic retainer without slipping out so I figure at 45 degrees they would stay up even longer. The lifter that was stopping me must have been just slightly protruding into the path of the cam lobe or journal for the solid rod to make up the little bit of difference I needed to get the cam out over what the JPR tool was giving me. Go to you local hardware store and buy the solid 5/16" rods and pocket the difference between them and the cost of the much more expensive JPR too.

Last edited by eallanboggs; 08-09-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad it came out OK, you may be able to sell the tool and recover some of your funds.