Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question Bout Crank Snout

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question Bout Crank Snout

im trying to figure out what happen to my friends car...

he had a march underdrive pully on his car.. and started to have problem with it coming off.. he would tighten it down and continue to drive the car..his first mistake was not puttin locktight on the bolt... so this kept happening.. until it just wouldnt stay tight for very long. (keep in mind this is a H/C car) so he put on his stock pully and has the same problem..

heres the weird part.. i know when i did my cam install it wasnt easy to pull on and off the crank pully...his pully can be pushed on and off all the way with one hand... like if the hole in the pully where to big. his crank pully seems like it maybe bent or something inside when you feel it..but the crank snout feels fine...im not sure but his crank snout looks smaller then i remember mine..but i could be wrong. im thinkin he should buy a new bolt, and crank pully and see if it works. cuz maybe from coming loose, and driving with a loose pully stretched or messed up his other pullys some how... i never heard of any problem like this before...

any ideas anyone? hopefully he dosnt need a new crank... i dont think theres anyways to just remove that snout is there? i also tried putting on his pully with the tool i got of of tech..that has a washer welded on to push the pully on all the way..but as soon as we took it off to put the crank bolt in..the pully just pushed back out and became loose again..

any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If his stock pulley is also easy to put on now, his crank snout must be too small. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like he will end up having to put a new crank in the motor. He could have the old crank and pulley cut for a keyway, use locktite, and a new bolt, but that would require a complete tear down of the engine and there is no garrantee that it would work for long.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
If his stock pulley is also easy to put on now, his crank snout must be too small. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like he will end up having to put a new crank in the motor. He could have the old crank and pulley cut for a keyway, use locktite, and a new bolt, but that would require a complete tear down of the engine and there is no garrantee that it would work for long.

yea thats what we were afraid of. his stock pully does the samething... i rubbed my finger inside the crank pulley and it dosnt feel even or smooth... it kinda feels like it has a bump or an uneven surgace. the crank snout does seem smooth... and dosnt seem like it was bent or shaved or anything.. what could have caused this? either way hes going to need a new crank..i would think the best bet would be to try a good pulley, and if it just slides on then time for a new bigger better motor.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a four place micrometer, pull the balancer and measure the crank snout to the nearest 1/10,000th of an inch. Then contact ATI and see if they will do a special hub for the size measurement you get and pin the pulley at the same time. They do undersize them a bit, but you will need the measurement to ensure a correct interference fit.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Get a four place micrometer, pull the balancer and measure the crank snout to the nearest 1/10,000th of an inch. Then contact ATI and see if they will do a special hub for the size measurement you get and pin the pulley at the same time. They do undersize them a bit, but you will need the measurement to ensure a correct interference fit.

really? cool were gunna try that! sounds alot cheaper then a new motor rite now! haha..thanks bro!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

What about the tool that drills the crank and you put a pin in it? I seen it for some FI application, but you still need their balancer. I'll see if I can find it, in case you need another option.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

"Simple, Yet Effective: Vortech LS1/LS6 Bolt-On Blower Kit
The A&A kit includes a new crank-pulley bolt with a washer that's been drilled to accept a pin. Using the hole in the washer as a guide, a1/4-inch hole is made in the crank pulley to accept the pin. This pin keeps the crank pulley from spinning off under heavy torque loads from the supercharger."

This is kind of what I'm talking about. Ask in the FI forum, I'm sure they can help. vettenuts has the best/easiest idea. You shouldn't need a new crank, anyways.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd think that if the crank pulley is that loose on there, pinning it wouldn't be the answer. There'd probably be harmonic issues with it being that loose.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
I'd think that if the crank pulley is that loose on there, pinning it wouldn't be the answer. There'd probably be harmonic issues with it being that loose.
I agree, the primary function is damping harmonics and that requires a proper interference fit. Hopefully ATI can help him out, possibly Powerbond.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I agree, the primary function is damping harmonics and that requires a proper interference fit. Hopefully ATI can help him out, possibly Powerbond.

yea were gunna give ATI a call and see what we can do... if he does have harmonic issues..how would we know? the motor just woudlnt run rite? or shake alot?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ironically, my ASP pulley began to spin on the crank last night. I was able to slid if right off by hand. Fortunately, my stock pulley fit on tight. So, back to stock for now.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
Ironically, my ASP pulley began to spin on the crank last night. I was able to slid if right off by hand. Fortunately, my stock pulley fit on tight. So, back to stock for now.

wow! thats weird!!! i thinkin he should try to get another stock puley...he has his..but i get the feeling something is wrong with that one to... hopefully its just a new pulley that he needs.

Quick Reply: Question Bout Crank Snout