Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

New to CA registration Question

Old 08-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New to CA registration Question

I've been in Cali for about a month now, and I heard that I have to get my plates switched from Texas to Cali within 30 days or so and get it in inspected as well. Is this true or can I leave it as a Texas registered with plates to the expiration date (or even keep it Texas registered after the exp. date) or do I have to change it now? Same for inspection, do I have to get it inspected now or can I wait until the expiration date?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is not getting it registered in Cali an option?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Datzneat
Is not getting it registered in Cali an option?
It's totally an option but if I don't have too until the registration expires (or never and keep it Tx registered) I would like to do that. Thats sorta the question...
Old 08-09-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

you shouldve stayed in texas. texas>ca
Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Teching In

we left all of our michigan plates on until they expired there, then we changed them over. which was almost a year, but we did have a house in michigan still. i just got hassled about having a michigan drivers license when i got pulled over which i think you are supposed to change over within 2 weeks
Old 08-09-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

ya a cop will be more strict with a license then the plates... if your gonna be here more more than 2 years it would be a good idea to switch everything over
Old 08-09-2007, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Depends. Are you military or a student? If so, you can keep your stuff registered in Texas. If not, you have to transfer your stuff over.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Teching In

I dunno, I moved to Cali from TX a year and a half ago. All 3 of my cars are still registered in Texas. They always mail me the renewal to my mailing address in CA but it still has my old residence in TX listed on the bill. I guess as long as you still have a residence address in TX on file your mailing address can be anywhere you want. All I do is renew through the mail and provide proof of insurance and I'm good for another year.

Is this legal? I think so because my cars are legally registered somewhere. The only thing that I have to bypass is the TX annual vehicle inspection since obviously CA doesn't have such a thing. The cops have yet to harass me. Until then, I'm gonna keep enjoying my cheap and smog free TX registration.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vee 6
I dunno, I moved to Cali from TX a year and a half ago. All 3 of my cars are still registered in Texas. They always mail me the renewal to my mailing address in CA but it still has my old residence in TX listed on the bill. I guess as long as you still have a residence address in TX on file your mailing address can be anywhere you want. All I do is renew through the mail and provide proof of insurance and I'm good for another year.

Is this legal? I think so because my cars are legally registered somewhere. The only thing that I have to bypass is the TX annual vehicle inspection since obviously CA doesn't have such a thing. The cops have yet to harass me. Until then, I'm gonna keep enjoying my cheap and smog free TX registration.
Hold on dude, so you don't have to smog your car either? BTW I live in Mission Valley area, and work at USD Law.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Teching In

No smog checks as long as I have TX plates. It also depends on the county you used to live in TX. Like I used to live in San Antonio (Bexar county) and they didn't smog check there. I'm pretty sure Austin didn't either. I know El Paso and DFW does smog checks though. BTW I live in Mira Mesa and work at NAS North Island.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your suppose to switch, but I wouldnt if I were you. I had my last vehicle registered to Arizona for 3 years. My aunt lives there, so i had it registered to her house. No smog in her county, thats why I did it. Also, CA registration fees are alot higher than Tx or Az, so youll save some money too. The only way you would get busted for it is if you told the cop you live here now. Just tell them your just visiting. Then you only have to really worry about seeing the same cop after the 30 day period, which is unlikely. Plus CA smog sucks ***
Old 08-09-2007, 11:02 PM
10 Second Club

Legally, as long as you are a Student or Active Duty Military, you can maintain Texas Residency and can keep the vehicles registered in Texas. As long as they are registered there and you live outside of Texas, you Do Not have to Smog in Cali. or pass Texas Vehicle Inspections.

If you are on Camp Pendleton, you have to pass Cali. Smog in order to get a base decal though.

If you are neither a student nor in the Military, you are supposed to register your vehicles in the state your are living in. If you own a house in both states, you can claim one of them for residency, and should be good to go.

You can read the DMV web sites from both states. It will tell you what you need to know.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:52 AM
Teching In

i got pulled over on my school campus, so i couldnt say that i was just visiting. he didnt say anything about my plates but he did yell at me about having a michigan drivers license. they also tried to give me a ticket for not having a front plate so we called and said in Michigan u dont have to have one so they voided my ticket
Old 08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Launching!

I was beginning to wonder why anyone would leave Cali and I thinki I know... the rediculous rules. Well not to mention the expensive housing. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to CA registration Question