General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Who has long tube headers with O2 Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has long tube headers with O2 Sensors?

I bought my car about 2 months ago and the stock O2 sensors near the engine where replaced by O2 sims. But ever since i have had the car the SES light would always come on and off all the time. Got the codes read at Auto Zone and they said that it was the O2 sensors. So took it to the shop and they replaced them with stock O2 sensors but now the guy who i bought the car from is saying the the new O2 sensors are just gonna go out again because of the long tube headers is that true. Please help me out im so confused and now i don't wanna be screwed cause i just got them replaced.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you cant use o2 sims for the front o2's only the rears. The only reason it would mess up your o2's to have them on LT's is if they are the older style that had the sensor bungs on the outside of the driversside header. It will rub against the heat sheild if you dont massage it. Otherwise you will be fine
Old 08-09-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya well he replaced the factory O2's with O2 sims on the front so i dont know what he was doing. But now the car rides so much better after having them replaced.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy you bought the car from is retarded.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
The guy you bought the car from is retarded.
+1

Good to here you fixed it.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well what would have given him the reason for putting them there?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Because he was not informed and did not know what he was doing. There is NO GOOD REASON to run sims up front in your car
Old 08-10-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very bad to run sims in the front banks because those control A/F ratio. The rear sensors just monitor catalytic converter efficiency.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

with the preivous owner having o2 sims in the front could that have screwed anything up for good. Cause after i got my O2 sims switched with O2 sensors now the SES light is on AGAIN!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Just get the codes checked again and see if they the same as before or different? Long tubes tend to cause some O2 sensor codes. Have Autozone give you the actual codes they pull and post those up.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

i got sim problem, brand new O2s in front and still getting SES light trying to figure out the problem
Old 08-12-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

had o2 sensor can make sparkplugs die prematurely. because of the obvious A/F ratio being messed up.

and though some people say driving with a bad 02 wont hurt performance or antything i dissagree. whe i had a bad o2 my car ran like crap. rough idle ect.

if i was you. i would just check over the car really well. air filters and other things just to make sure that guy doesnt have any other "sims" in the wrong place rofl.

might have one of those electric Super chargers on their restricting more air than what normally would go int haha.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Air
Staging Lane

if you had stock F-body o2 sensors put in up front with long tubes, the new, now longer, distance between the heads and the o2 sensors can cause some issues with them.

Most people go to the corvette o2 sensors, which also have longer harnesses than the f-body ones, in the front.. they have better tolerances for heat from what i understand and usually kill the SES light issue

I have the vette o2 sensors and still get a sparattic ses light on my car.. when i read the code it says bank 1 sensor 1 bla bla.. so i delete it and it stays off for 2 weeks - a month ect.. then it comes back. recently i went on a trip and it came on while i was out of town, so i drove back with it on.. i wasnt taking it easy or anything because i knew it was just the 02, but when i got done driving back the ses light turned off on its own.. I didnt even know that the SES light would EVER go off without the code being erased or the battery unhooked.

anyone have a clue to what my issue is?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Air
if you had stock F-body o2 sensors put in up front with long tubes, the new, now longer, distance between the heads and the o2 sensors can cause some issues with them.

Most people go to the corvette o2 sensors, which also have longer harnesses than the f-body ones, in the front.. they have better tolerances for heat from what i understand and usually kill the SES light issue

I have the vette o2 sensors and still get a sparattic ses light on my car.. when i read the code it says bank 1 sensor 1 bla bla.. so i delete it and it stays off for 2 weeks - a month ect.. then it comes back. recently i went on a trip and it came on while i was out of town, so i drove back with it on.. i wasnt taking it easy or anything because i knew it was just the 02, but when i got done driving back the ses light turned off on its own.. I didnt even know that the SES light would EVER go off without the code being erased or the battery unhooked.

anyone have a clue to what my issue is?

after it goes through so many cycles with a good reading it will turn off. It still stores the code in the memory.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got extensions for my ACDELCO stock 02's i got 2 24in entensions. So I am set!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya but as i said i had stock O2's put back on but they cut and added more wire to lengthen them. But ya my SES light comes on and goes off by itself all the time.

Quick Reply: Who has long tube headers with O2 Sensors?