Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank pulley comes off!!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank pulley comes off!!

hello
i got my ening e built and when i brought it to get tunned the crank pulley fell off. now what it is, is im at home and my truck is 4 hrs away getting tuned. what i wanted to know is what can happen to the engine if this happens? can any damage happen? such as crank shaft? oil pump? i'd just like to know because im not there to look at it. the guy there said the main seals finished but he hasnt given it a ahrd look yet. my main concern is the crank shaft? could that even be damaged by this?
Old 08-10-2007, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

engine**
Old 08-10-2007, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

I know of a couple instances on roadrace cars that destroyed motors when the balancer cam loose. I've also heard of many that had no motor damage.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I can't believe it just came off. I broke a puller getting mine off the first time & had to use a hammer/board to get it back on far enough to get the bolt started.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think any engine damage would occur since the LS1 is internally balanced. LS1 crank pulley is just a pulley and not a harmonic balancer.

I haven't heard of one just walking off like that, but i do hear a lot about the crank bolt backing out. Maybe your crank bolt wasn't reinstalled during the rebuild and then the engine heat made the pulley expand just enough to wobble off?

Search this Thread