View Full Version : Is Your Car Significantly Quieter In Hot Weather?

JohnnyC
08-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I noticed that my car gets noticeably quieter when the weather is hot and humid. Anyone else notice this? It is a significant difference in the volume, so it is not just my imagination. I suppose that it has something to do with cooler air being more dense / making more power, ect. I am still running stock cats, so maybe that has something to do with it. I have had three different exhaust setups, and all of them got a lot quieter in hot weather. I have had other non-ls1 muscle cars in the past, and none of them had as big of a change in volume as my T/A. My truck exhaust pretty much sounds the same regardless of the weather, so maybe it is just an LS1 thing? :confused: Probably not the most important car topic of all time, but I thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone else has noticed. :burn:

FLA02TA
08-10-2007, 12:13 PM
I really notice how loud it is in the winter on a cold start. Never really notice it being quiet in the summer though.

Toxic Texan
08-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Mine is only quiet when it is off. ;) h/c lt headers no cats 3 inch dump. ;)

JohnnyC
08-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Mine is only quiet when it is off. ;) h/c lt headers no cats 3 inch dump. ;)

So you have 2 settings; loud and off....

nice :lol:

With your setup, I'm sure that you scare children, pets, deaf people, ect.

Nate's4.6
08-10-2007, 12:54 PM
I don't remember what cold weather is (which I am ok with).

My car is loud either way though. I couldn't imagine with LT's.

ErikElvis
08-10-2007, 01:09 PM
My car does seem a lil more muffled in lower rpm's when its 90+ and humid out.

ReFtheMC
08-10-2007, 01:42 PM
In hot weather i hear that stupid "AIR!" thing just whine and whine...so no, my car does not significantly get quiter during hot weather

Toxic Texan
08-10-2007, 04:08 PM
So you have 2 settings; loud and off....

nice :lol:

With your setup, I'm sure that you scare children, pets, deaf people, ect.

Pets yes.
Car alarms yes.
My kids are use to it now. :D
Parking garages are fun by the way. :devil:

EspaceF1Fan
08-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Its more to do with atmospheric conditions and how sound is transferred through the air. The reason you car sounds louder in the winter is part technical and part psychological in my opinion. First its winter..iots cold there isnt many insect or animals making noise so any noise will seem louder just because of that...

Also in the winter there isnt as much moisture in the air to absorb sound or as many leaves on plants to absorb sound......

And finally with colder air being denser, the molcules are much closer so they transfer sound with less loss iof volume than say warm air molecules.

No I dont haev a link to back this up but its all kinda common sense..and sounds good on paper;)

spy2520
08-11-2007, 11:52 AM
my car is louder when it is cold. like when it is first started up, then it quiets down a little. not much though.

Smokin00WS6
08-11-2007, 11:57 AM
I think so, our cars dont like the hot and humid as much. My car seems louder and stronger in that 50 deg. and no humidity range, those cars love that DA. I know mine didnt seem to run that great the other night at 78 deg and 98 % humidity. grrrrr.

johnnybravo
08-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Mine's louder in the summer, might be 'cause the windows are down and the t-tops off........ :cool:

AgriGator
08-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Louder in the winter...

kyemt
08-12-2007, 05:43 PM
louder in winter and runs much better with cool air

Vrbas
08-12-2007, 06:46 PM
i hear that stupid "AIR!" thing just whine and whine...

:jest: :werd:

02 Camaro SS
08-13-2007, 08:57 AM
I love the way mine sounds when I start it up on a cold day. It's ridiculous.

bjamick
08-13-2007, 09:11 AM
No mine is not quieter, its just ALOTT slower :(. Thats why i can't wait for winter :devil:

aaron653
08-14-2007, 01:07 PM
colder air slows down sound waves which causes the waves to refract...making it a little louder...just sayin'

08-14-2007, 01:18 PM
The car sounds quieter in hot weather because your not listening to your car your thinking "Damn is fucken HOT that girl in the mustang was fine." :jest: :funny:

Dal1as
08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Its more to do with atmospheric conditions and how sound is transferred through the air. The reason you car sounds louder in the winter is part technical and part psychological in my opinion. First its winter..iots cold there isnt many insect or animals making noise so any noise will seem louder just because of that...

Also in the winter there isnt as much moisture in the air to absorb sound or as many leaves on plants to absorb sound......

And finally with colder air being denser, the molcules are much closer so they transfer sound with less loss iof volume than say warm air molecules.

No I dont haev a link to back this up but its all kinda common sense..and sounds good on paper;)

Correct, it has a lot to do with dynamic range and transfer of sound through the atmosphere. Sound doesn't care how much power the car is making. In the winter I start my car with the garage door down because it sounds like a damn shotgun going off. lol

sixvi6-camaro
08-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Parking garages are fun by the way. :devil:

Hell yes!! I park in a garage for work every day and let me tell you I always park on the 2nd to the top floor because its too damn much fun raping on the throttle on every level to hear the symphony of alarms go off... lol! :burn:

I do notice my car louder with the t tops on vs off .. as well as it being louder when its cold out.

Smokin00WS6
08-16-2007, 10:39 PM
colder air slows down sound waves which causes the waves to refract...making it a little louder...just sayin'

Nice, Its supposed to get cooler up here this weekend, Im going to test the sound waves :burn: . LOL I think it also sounds louder because you are freezing with your t-tops off and you are more sensitive.

its turbo time
08-17-2007, 09:46 AM
my car usually idles up a lot higher when you fire it up in the cold which means more engine noise due to the higher rpm.