Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Koni DA broken. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Front Koni DA broken. Why?

So help me out here. Total noob to anything suspension. I replaced my stock front shocks with Koni DAs and kept the stock spring. The only other things I have done to the suspension is a 32mm front sway.. Also have SFCs and a STB. Well after about 50 miles of normal highway driving there was a loud snapping sound. I was worried so I drove straight home and put the car in the air to take a look. As soon as I had the wheel off the ground the shock came crashing out of its prech and this is what I found:

Right now Im really frustrated with the car. I don't want it to turn into a "I hate my car and want to get rid of it" thread, but seriously.. whenever I spend money on it something breaks. What went wrong here. Help me stop beating my head on the wall and get the car back on the road, please!
Old 08-10-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you show us how you had the shock and mounting hardware put together... Then take a picture, it might help.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Koni's carry a lifetime warranty, but they will probably do everything in their power not to honor the warranty(just like any part co.) If you had them installed in an improper fashion, I doubt very seriously they will cover it.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Launching!

They were installed by a shop.. I'll have to take the other side out and take a look at how they installed them. Could be that they installed them improperly.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

The shop screwed up. Incidentially that's not a shock failure, that's a broken mouting stud on the shock. Big difference vs. a failed damper. Most likely they didn't have the spring compressed far enough, tightened the nut until the upper shock mount got to the spring, instead of actually tight. That in turn causes the shock to move up and down in the mount when you drive (normally a heavy clunking noise will be heard/felt) and that can and will break the stud.

Sorry to hear you troubles, but these are some of the things I make sure my customers know about before installation so they can avoid it.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Launching!

can the mounting stud be replaced without totally replacing the shock, like a rebuild?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe Koni's are rebuildable...how much $ though, is another question...

One a side note: Sam, can a similar situation occur in the back. I have a loud clunking sound in the rear over bigger bumps, where the body moves a lot. A heavy clunking like you said, in the rear....