Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband O2 sensor placement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 05:31 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wideband O2 sensor placement?

Any reason that you couldn't put a wideband O2 sensor in the rear O2 bung? It should still read right after the cat right?

I was thinking of getting a FJO wideband setup and was wondering. I will have cats but, can turn the rear O2's off with LS1edit.

Thanks

John
Old 05-22-2003, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Wideband O2 sensor placement?

After cats will give an inaccurate reading. It should be with 2 ft of header. You might also look at the techedge setup. There is nothing wrong with the FJO unit, I have one. Although I still have not been able to get the rpm pickup to work. Might have fried it.

Gary
Old 05-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Adkoonerstrator

How do cars with full exhaust and cats get a wideband reading on a dyno? Wouldn't that be inaccurate too? I've never been on a dyno btw.

Getting a bung welded in wouldn't be hard but, I was just wanting to use the ones that are already there.

Old 05-22-2003, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

For O2s to operate correctly it has to be at very high temps ( 1,000 to around 1600 degrees exhaust) and only exhaust gases to be present.
O2s are required to be a set distance from the output side of heads.
The further back the O2s are, the cooler the exhaust gases are and O2 would report incorrect AFR.
Placing front O2s back where the rear 02s are then not only colder temps but also seeing the results after the Cats to their job.
Putting a wideband in a muffler tip is a joke, not only is exhaust temps down to around 200 degrees but results of Cat output, plus the outside air can seep into muffler tips.
Just because the wideband ( or any O2 has a heater) does not mean it it heating the 02 to the proper temps but more like around 600 degrees which is about the low end a cold O2 can partly function.
Best case is add the wideband very close to where all cyclinder exhaust tubes meet together.

Any reason that you couldn't put a wideband O2 sensor in the rear O2 bung? It should still read right after the cat right?

I was thinking of getting a FJO wideband setup and was wondering. I will have cats but, can turn the rear O2's off with LS1edit.

Thanks

John
Old 05-23-2003, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

I have hi-flow cats.I'm going to put my o2 bung just ahead of the cat...actually on the cat inlet.
joel (Bink)