Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

AAARG! Reckless ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs down AAARG! Reckless ticket!

Woot! got a ticket today, , im wondering what kind of chance I have fighting it.... it sounds REALLY REALLY bad on the ticket..

Reckless driving, in a school zone, with children present..

here's what happened.. im at a local highschool picking up a friend, driving one way down a two-way side street of the school, 20mph, in my silverado.
There is a fence where the buses usually line up to my right, to the left is open desert. no people within 200 yards in front of me, a few cars about 150 yards behind me.

I pull to the turning lane, turn on my left signal, and make a left, jumping the curb into the dirt. i'm in the dirt heading the opposite way i was originally going, and punch the gas for 3-4 seconds, stirring some dirt. i then back it down to 10mph, cruise around the back of the school, and park. the cop comes up to me and immediately writes me a ticket. after talking to him for a while, about exactly what rule I broke, not being ON the road, and there were no kids anywhere nearby (this is a while after school got out, buses gone, etc..) he sounded like he regretted hitting me with such a ticket, but he said, hey, it's already in the computer, and then said, "well I could keep these keys and take you back to the station." i said, thanks for the ticket, grinned, signed it, tore off mine, (he seemed surprised I knew the routine lol) and handed them back to him. Im curious to what you guys think, I think disturbing the peace tops is my crime. Because whats written on the ticket makes it sound like i was trying to run over dolphins and babies at a kindergarten. DOH!

fwd... i know what i was doing is frowned upon by many, but come on, it's a friday and i was in no danger of hurting anyone, nor speeding.. although the ticket says I was doing 35 in a 25... BS!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh and if this thing sticks, and the judge throws the book at me, (i'm going to fight it for sure,) what kind of fine/points am I looking at?
Old 08-11-2007, 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 points, fine probably around $1,400 and maybe 15 days community service. I would fight that crap for sure, probably even hire a lawyer cause it may be cheaper, definitely when insurance is factored in.

I got a damn speeding ticket today too. Freakin cop was like 200yds. behind me, didn't use a radar and says I was going 60+ in a 35mph construction zone. I've never contested a speeding ticket cause I know I've been at fault for what I've been accused, but this one I'm going to try to throw out cause there's no way I was going that fast.

Thankfully I can fight it through the mail, you'll have to go to court since it's a misdemeanor. That's another reason to fight it, that looks like crap on your record and forget any job that involves driving. Was almost two years to the day that I was stopped for exhibition of speed and reckless driving. I got a lawyer for that, he was able to drop the reckless driving charge, and get the exh. of speed to be put down as a regular speed infraction on my records. Still had to pay $1,450 and serve 15 days though.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

Oh yea here's what it says about the code online:

(b) Any person who drives any vehicle in any offstreet parking facility, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12500, in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.

(c) Persons convicted of the offense of reckless driving shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than five days nor more than 90 days or by a fine of not less than one hundred forty-five dollars ($145) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, except as provided in Section 23104.

Don't let the, "no more than $1,000" fool you, my dui said that but then they fine you for that and tack on another $400+ in gay *** fees, same thing with the exhibition of speed. Yeah my driving record is a thing of beauty.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

WOw that is FUCKED UP. Sorry to hear this. You didn't go to jail, so this isn't too bad. It sounds like a lot of bullshit, I mean "children present" you said there was nobody around. But basically I've been pulled over for letting my tires loose, and basically if you break em' loose if they want to thats reckless driving. It's GAY.

Legal issues just cost a lot of MONEY and TIME. first time DUI in our state carries a mandatory jail sentance, so I'd assume this sort of driving violation could carry a suspension (but I doubt you have to worry about that, unless you do this kind of **** routinely). Maybe even like a class 2 or 3 misdemeanor? I'm not too sure, but even a class 2 (a more severe misdemeanor) would carry somthing like a $1000 fine/90 day type of max punishment. This is why you want to get with a lawyer.

It's pretty much shitty. If this is your first offense and your record is clean of convictions I think you'll be hit with a fine (and you can learn your lesson, but still come out OK). But I'm no expert. Attorney is your friend. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

there wasn't no-one around. there were people a good 200 yards behind where I turned around, and across the street in the parking facility behind a big steel fence im sure there were some people. noone on the road or in the dirt lot i kicked up dirt in. should I try and find out if the place I kicked up dirt in was private property? would that make a diff?
Old 08-11-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a picture of the location as well. Come in to court with at least an 8x10.

What's the time written on your ticket? That's what the judge will go by for if kids were still present. And of course your proximity to the school.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

fight it ey, fight it ey you did nothin rong.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's just it, he wasn't honest on the ticket. he says i was doing 35 in a 25, somehow his super radar works when he's in a parking lot down the street facing another direction. It says 2:05 PM on the ticket, school gets out at 1:52. It was at least 2:14 when I got pulled over, I have a record of a phone call from my friend as soon as he saw the cop coming over to me. I'm just worried about the judge being unfair because i'm only 19.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Your going to get a ticket for jumping the curb, what you did on private property won't matter unless the DA wants to be a dick and contact the property owner to see if he wants you charged with Trespassing.

The DA is going to fight that you unsafely left the road way by going over the curb.

22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move
right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with
reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate
signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other
vehicle may be affected by the movement.

Or they can try this one for screwing around in the dirt

38316. (a) It is unlawful for any person to drive any off-highway
motor vehicle with a willful and wanton disregard for the safety of
other persons or property.
(b) Any person who violates this section shall, upon conviction
thereof, be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for not less
than five days nor more than 90 days or by fine of not less than
fifty dollars ($50) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500) or by
both such fine and imprisonment, except as provided in Section 38317.

38317. Whenever reckless driving of an off-highway motor vehicle
proximately causes bodily injury to any person, the person driving
the vehicle shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by
imprisonment in the county jail for not less than 30 days nor more
than six months or by fine of not less than one hundred dollars
($100) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by both such
fine and imprisonment.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alex- it's not an off-highway vehicle, it has a license plate not a green sticker, so i dont think that one applies. although the middle one sounds about right for my offense.. do you know how many traffic points that is?... Reasonable road safety was in full effect the entire time I was on the road. I used my signal, and very slowly crawled over the curb (it took 3 or so seconds between the time my front and back tires touched it.)
as for the last one, again, it is not an off highway vehicle, and nobody was injured.
the cop says that as soon as my tires spin, i've "lost control of the vehicle." I asked him if losing control was a misdemeanor. he said nothing.

I'm sure i deserve some kind of ticket for my unforgiveable sin, I dont think a $1400+ one is justified though.

Last edited by 67RSCamaroVette; 08-11-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

ticketbust.com

Call them and tell them your story. They will fight it for you.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:57 PM
10 Second Club

Old 08-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Teching In

does it say on the ticket that he clocked you on radar ? because if he has it written on there, then he has to prove it come court time. alot of cops b/s with the "i got you on radar crap" . i would try and fight it. its not gonna get worse by fighting it, its worth a try, sounds like a b/s ticket to me. what high school by the way ?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
**** you, ***** >
Old 08-11-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6FAST
does it say on the ticket that he clocked you on radar ? because if he has it written on there, then he has to prove it come court time. alot of cops b/s with the "i got you on radar crap" . i would try and fight it. its not gonna get worse by fighting it, its worth a try, sounds like a b/s ticket to me. what high school by the way ?
it doesnt say radar, it just says speed.

GHHS.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

riverside county sheriff will issue trucks that have plates and are currently registered that are off roading tickets under 38316 because they are being used as an offroad vehicle.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

fawk! sucks to be you... Long time ago I was on my way to work, Had to take the bridge over to get to terminal island anyways, Theres a white camaro on my ***, so I took off on him thinking he was gonna run me, next thing i know lights start flashing and the "camaro" turns out to be a CHP camaro. the cop wasn't a dick for the most part and let me slide hard core by just giving me a speeding ticket. 75mph in a 45 zone. Think it was $300 or something like that.

Last edited by Chaddalack; 08-11-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

in one of my trips to traffic school I remember the instructor saying "children present" can be a kid still in school for detention or even in the middle of the night if they have a sleep over and the kids are inside sleeping. gotta love the laws in california. I think maby you should get stuck with a 16-2-3 felony from the sounds of things. j/k
Old 08-11-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
Because whats written on the ticket makes it sound like i was trying to run over dolphins and babies at a kindergarten. DOH!
don't forget the puppies!