LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Copper flake radiator leak fix in LTx?

Old 08-11-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Copper flake radiator leak fix in LTx?

So my buddies 94 Vette's radiator is leaking at the tanks. I told him how I put some of the good ole copper flake stuff just this past few weeks in our 90 Suburban with 173K on it, and it fixed it's leak right up. Not a drop now. My friend is all concerned that it's going to clog something up and/or mess with his new EWP. I told him he's on crack and making a fuss over nothing.

Whats everyone else's opinion?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do it, fix it properly. I've seen many cars cooling system clog up using that crap. It's what we mechanics call a bandaid and a shitty one at that.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Smokinlt1
Don't do it, fix it properly. I've seen many cars cooling system clog up using that crap. It's what we mechanics call a bandaid and a shitty one at that.
Yes, it ends up settling all over the place.
I worked on a 305 once with that crap all over the radiator cap.
Ended up just replacing the cap and flushing the system.
I can only imagine what else it clogged up.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Teching In

I've never trusted any additives period, oil or coolant (except water-wetter). It's just a band-aid that has the capability to complicate the problem more or add another one all together. If it was my radiator leaking I'd flush the sucker out pinpoint the link and go from there (which it seems you've already done).
Old 08-11-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well the bottle says only use 1/2 (well X oz per X gal) for our systems. Which is what I did with my Suburban. I personally can't see how it can cause problems, like some of the other stuff. Like the Bars Leak that has HUGE chunks of who-knows-what in it. I felt this metal flake to be the one that could cause the least amount of damage seeing as they're like a powder.

But, this is why I asked here Many different views and reasons.
Thanks.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

I once fixed a radiator leak in a destruction derby car with a hot dog bun. The bread found the hole and sealed up. It lasted throughout the night, untill the rear end was knocked out of the car.

Sorry, that was completely irrelevant. I'd stay away from the additive stuff, and just get the radiator repaired.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

tanks are crimped on there and are relatively easy to remove/replace. there is a big orange o-ring seal going around the tank to seal it to the core.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vtec
tanks are crimped on there and are relatively easy to remove/replace. there is a big orange o-ring seal going around the tank to seal it to the core.
Yea, he said he tried to tighten it up (he's a major mechanic) but that was no help. I'm just trying to save him money (since he owes me a bit lol). I downloaded AllData 2K7 for him heh
Old 08-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

tell him to take the tank off and silicon it back on.... lol
Old 08-11-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill never use that crap again, I put a bottle of that in my S10 blazer and it all gathered in my heater core, from it being clogged nothing could flow through it and it just about blew it up the core was coming apart and ready to blow.

BTW that heater core was only about a year old, I pulled it since i wasnt getting heat out of it.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lethal93ta
Ill never use that crap again, I put a bottle of that in my S10 blazer and it all gathered in my heater core, from it being clogged nothing could flow through it and it just about blew it up the core was coming apart and ready to blow.

BTW that heater core was only about a year old, I pulled it since i wasnt getting heat out of it.

Is that the copper flake or the plastic black crap? Because that looks like the latter, which I'd never use. Unless I didn't like someone heh
Old 08-11-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that was the cooper flake stuff.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

I've used it several times, with no problems what so ever. It has worked fine for me. Nothing clogged or up or corroded like the pics above. Is it the right fix? No. Will I use it again? Probably so, but it depends on the situation. Hell, I once saw a company machanic use Bars Leak to stop up a head gasket. That truck lived on suffer the abuse of under paid hourly workers for years to come. To each his own, I suppose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Copper flake radiator leak fix in LTx?